Valentine’s Day is on February 14, and what better way to impress your sweetheart than with songs? Here’s Part II of our story Valentine’s Day: [Watch] Most romantic English songs of all time – Part I.
We’ve taken classic songs and the ones from the 1980s and ’90s, leaving the 2000s ‘cos we feel they still have a long way to go to be in the all-time list. And also, a lot of these songs are ones that women want their lovers to sing to them, or that they would sing for him. Remember again, these songs have been selected randomly from our fave list, with no particular order to their merit.
1. No Matter What – Boyzone
Here’s the best song to encourage young lovers who need all the support to face opposition.
2. Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
This number from the late eighties continues to be our fave for the catchy tune and the everlasting love lyrics. Don’t we all dream about that?
3. I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That) – Meatloaf
Fantastic video and a song with lyrics that kept people wondering – and a great tune, of course.
4. I Swear – All 4 One
This was one of the better boy bands in the nineties. Some of their songs remain memorable, especially this one.
5. Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now – Starship
Oh, don’t we love this one? Simple yet powerful song, we’d say. Another number for lovers who need support!
6. Power of Love – Jennifer Rush
Don’t go by the retro video, it’s a powerful song and was No.1 in the UK and Europe. such a favourite that Celine Dion did a cover.
7. Glory of Love – Peter Cetera (Karate Kid II)
You might instantly remember the movie hearing this, but in itself the song is a classic – something every man would want to sing to his woman.
8. Theme For a Dream – Cliff Richard
Cute classic one from the 1960s! When we heard the first line of the Munna Bhai song Pal pal har pal, we remembered Theme For a Dream. You get the connection?
9. From This Moment On – Shania Twain
Another unforgettable gem from country singer Shania Twain, with a beautiful video too.
10. Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinéad O’Connor
Talking about unforgettable, nothing compares to this song of yours, Sinéad! Superb.
11. Saving All My Love For You – Whitney Houston
A classic song from 1985 – a treat for Whitney Houston fans. One of her bestest before I Will Always Love You took over.
12. Can I Touch You There - Michael Bolton
Raunchy love song, anyone? Enjoy this one!
13. I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight – Cutting Crew
Ooh. Now this one could be for when your Valentine’s Day session is over (wink)!
14. Save the Best For Last – Vanessa Williams
A wonderful number from the early nineties by singer-actor Vanessa Williams.
15. Say a Little Prayer for You – Diana King (My Best Friend’s Wedding)
Used in the Julia Roberts’ movie My Best Friend’s Wedding, this is a song chicks simply love!
16. Lay Back in the Arms of Someone – Smokie
Just the song to get in the mood for Valentine’s Day!
17. Wishing and Hoping – Dusty Springfield (My Best Friend’s Wedding)
Dusty Springfield’s number was used in the opening credits of My Best Friend’s Wedding. A song every girl gang wants to sing!
Of course, this list could’ve been of 50 or even a 100 songs. But for now, we’ve picked the ones we love the best. Add your fave love songs in the comments below.
Valentine’s Day – Most romantic English songs of all time – Part I