World Wide Web celebrates its 25th birthday today on 12th March, 2014 and we all agree in union the world would have one hell of a different place had Tim Berners-Lee not come up with this invention. World Wide Web, WWW or W3, call whatever you may please to, but this has been the greatest advancement of technology of the modern race of human kind. We take a look at the top 8 things related to WWW which would take you memory down the lane.
1 In 1990, Tim Berners-Lee used a NeXT Computer, a company founded by Steve Jobs as the world’s first web server. He also used it to write the first web browser, WorldWideWeb.
2. The official name of World Wide Web could have been TIM i.e. The Information Mine. The founder Tim Berners-Lee was contemplating one the name as this one crossed his mind in his honour.
3. Web and Internet are commonly taken as one. But the fact remains these two are widely separate things with Internet being a global system of interconnected computer networks while web is a collection of text or other resources running as one application on Internet.
4. Browsing came into existence when users moved from one web page to another through hyper links using a browser. The phrase ‘Surfing the web’ came to existence in 1992, when Jean Armour Polly struck up a mouse-pad with the picture of a surfer on it. She was writing up a beginner’s guide for the web for the Wilson Library Bulletin.
4. In 1991, the first website was created by Tim Berners-Lee info.cern.ch.
5. On 30th April 1993, CERN announced that the World Wide Web or WWW would be free for anyone to use.
6. The first picture posted on the web was in 1992 by Tim Berners-Lee. It was of Les Horribles Cernettes, an all female group parody pop group, founded by the CERN members.
7. The first website on the triple X or .xxx domain, meant for the adult content came into existence as early as August 2011.
8. The first spam mail was sent on 3rd May, 1978. It was sent to all seven hundred users on ARPANET. It was an advertisement of presentation by Digital Equipment Corporation.
Tim Berners-Lee has definitely touched every one’s life around the world with his creation.