Holiday season is about to start. You must be thinking of destinations where you can escape the heat and can relax and have fun. But before you zero down on your destination and start packing your bags here is a round-up on new tatkal rules that the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has recently introduced. It is important to know about them as any last minute change can keep you prepared for unforeseen situations. As you start making plans for the most-awaited summer vacation here is a list of changes on tatkal bookings that come handy while you plan your trip.
1. You need to book tatkal ticket at least a day before the travelling date. If you are planning to go by AC, then tatkal booking starts from 10 AM. For sleeper class category the booking starts from 11 AM.
2. From a single user ID you can book six tickets in a month. Through Aadhaar you can book 12 tickets in a month.
3. There are new rules for trains running behind their schedule. According to guidelines you can claim full refund of tatkal ticket fare in case train is running more than three hours late behind its original schedule.
4. Indian trains are known to change their route at the last moment. The rule states that a passenger can claim complete refund of fare if the train’s route gets diverted. If you do not want to take a detour there is always a way out by cancelling out your tatkal tickets and claim refund.
5. Not just the detour, a refund can be claimed if a train is diverted and your destination or boarding station is not on the new route.
6. There are instances when the AC class coaches are not attached to trains. In such cases you can claim full refund if you are accommodated in lower class and doesn’t wish to travel in the lower class. If you agree to travel in the lower class make sure the difference is paid back to you.
7. Make your booking as soon as the window open, as authorised travel agents cannot book tatkal tickets during the first 30 minutes.
8. You cannot take very long to complete your booking. You need to speed up as one gets just 25 seconds to fill in details.
9.You should collect everything together ranging from login banking details to mobile phone before making a booking. This is because you are given just ten seconds for making the payment.
10. IRCTC has introduced two schemes – ePaylater and Pay-On-Delivery. You can avail the two facilities by selecting the option while booking tickets.
11. Now one more step has been added as an additional level of security. You need to answer a security question while filling your personal information form.