New Delhi, June 18: Quoting Aadhaar card as a mandatory document, the government has now issued a deadline to link the biometric identity number to bank accounts. It has been notified by the government that the existing bank account holders need to submit Aadhaar details to banks on or before December 31, 2017. If a customer fails to do so, the bank account will become invalid. This means that Aadhaar-less bank accounts will be frozen after December this year.
Most banks have been encouraging account holders to link Aadhaar with their bank accounts through SMS and phone calls. Till now, PAN card was required as a document to open a bank account, or for any transactions above Rs 50,000 but from June 1, the Aadhaar number has been made mandatory for opening a bank account. Moreover, if a person does not have an Aadhaar number at the time of opening of account after 1 June, the individual has to furnish proof of application for enrollment in Aadhaar and submit the number to the bank within six months of opening the account. The government has already made it compulsory to link Aadhaar with PAN to avoid individuals using multiple PANs to evade taxes.
Here’s how you can link your Aadhaar with your bank accounts
A customer having an account with Axis Bank can follow the following process:
- Insert Axis Bank Debit card in the ATM and click on Registration. Then enter the PIN and click on link Aadhaar No.
- Then select Account and Update. It asks for Aadhaar No.
- Type your Aadhaar number and re-enter Aadhaar No and confirm it.
A customer can now login using Internet banking credentials, click on the “Aadhaar Seeding” link for registration
- Using Phone Banking Center (PBC):
- A customer can call on PBC toll free number
- Then authenticate on IVR using Debit card/Customer ID
- Press ‘4’ to link your Aadhaar Number and press ‘1’ to confirm.
SMS Aadhaar <Aadhaar No.>AC <last 6 digits of A/C no.> to 5676782
If you are an ICICI bank customer, you can download the following form and link Aadhaar to your account
If a customer has a count in HDFC bank, follow the below mentioned process:
A customer can update Aadhaar detail with the Bank in just 3 simple steps:
- Log in to Net Banking and click on “View/Update Aadhaar Details” from the Request section of Accounts tab in inNetBanking.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number, and Confirm the Account Number to link it with.
- Confirm the same. The Aadhaar number will be updated within 4 working days, after verification with the Authorities.
- The customer can login again after 4 days to check your updated Aadhaar details.
State Bank of India (SBI)
Customers can link their Aadhaar card using different processes:
- Net banking users can login to www.onlinesbi.com and access the link “Link your Aadhaar number” under “My Accounts”, appearing on the left panel of the screen.
- On clicking the link, the customer will be directed to a screen to select the Account number, input the Aadhaar number and click on Submit.
- A customer needs to register the mobile number with the bank to avail this option.
- Once this is done, send SMS to 567676 in the following format UID (space) Aadhaar number (space)Account number.
- If you wish to link Aadhaar to your bank accounts, a customer can visit any SBI branch with a copy of his/her Aadhaar number or e-aadhaar At the branch, a Letter of Request will be obtained from customer along with the Xerox copy of Aadhaar letter.
The 12-digit number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is also mandatory for any financial transaction of Rs 50, 000 and above and to access to banking and filing I-T returns. The notification, amending the Prevention of Money- laundering (Maintenance of Records) Rules, 2005, has mandated the quoting of Aadhaar number along with permanent account number (PAN) or Form 60 by individuals, companies and partnership firms for all financial transactions of Rs 50,000 and above with effect from 1 June.
This move has however tightened the rules for small accounts, which can be opened without having officially valid know-your-customer or KYC documents. The notification said such accounts, which can have a maximum deposit of Rs 50, 000, can be opened at bank branches that have a Core Banking Solution, or CBS. The linking of Aadhaar card to Bank accounts will now enable deepening of Aadhaar’s reach in financial sector and will majorly help in tracking the financial transactions across the nation.