Passenger fare hiked: Revised fare chart of Rajdhani Express trains

Railway-shatabdi

New Delhi, June 20: The government on Friday announced hike in passenger fare by 14.2 per cent. It is perhaps the steepest hike in passenger fares since past many Rail budgets.  The fare revision was actually proposed in the interim budget presented by the previous government but the implementation was withdrawn because of Lok Sabha elections.

The revised passenger fare will come into effect from June 25 2014 (i.e. w.e.f. 0000 hours of 25th June 2014). Today’s decision marks implementation of an announcement of May 16, the day Lok Labha election results came, when the hike was announced but put on hold immediately.

In a flip-flop, the Ministry first announced that today’s hike will be implemented with immediate effect but later changed it to June 25, saying the officials needed time to execute it.

The proposed hike is going to pinch the passengers hard as government has proposed a flat 10% increase in all classes. There will be no increase upto minimum distance for charge. In addition there will be an increase of 4.2% in fares on account of FAC which is due from April 2014. This means the total fare will go up by 14.2 per cent.

Following are existing and revised fares of Rajdhani Express trains departing from New Delhi:

Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani

CLASS

EXISTING

REVISED

AC 3

Rs 1514

Rs 1728

AC 2

Rs 2197

Rs 2508

AC 1

Rs 3813

Rs 4354

Delhi-Mumbai Rajdhani

CLASS

EXISTING

REVISED

AC 3

Rs 1416

Rs 1617

AC 2

Rs 2064

Rs 2357

AC 1

Rs 3567

Rs 4073

Delhi-Chennai Rajdhani

CLASS

EXISTING

REVISED

AC 3

Rs 1856

Rs 2119

AC 2

Rs 2740

Rs 3129

AC 1

Rs 4755

Rs 5430

Delhi-Bangalore Rajdhani

CLASS

EXISTING

REVISED

AC 3

Rs 1924

Rs 2197

AC 2

Rs 2864

Rs 3270

AC 1

Rs 4989

Rs 5697

In cities which have a suburban rail system, like Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata, the Second Class Monthly Season Ticket (MST) fares shall be charged on the basis of 30 single journeys instead of approximately 15 single journeys. Likewise fares of First Class Monthly Season Tickets will be charged at 4 times the Second Class Monthly Season Tickets (MST) Fares as is done presently. The revised fare shall also be applicable as per the existing method of computation on Quarterly Season Tickets (QST), Half Yearly Season Tickets (HST) and Yearly Season Tickets (YST), etc. these revisions have been shown in the Season Ticket Fare Tables.

(With inputs from PTI)