The shocking news of a 2-year-old’s death after applying Vicks VapoRub went viral on Facebook. The horrific incident of how the toddler died in his sleep after his mother applied Vicks VapoRub to relieve a cough and fever. Her innocent act to soothe her baby’s fever proved costly and she shared her grief with fellow mothers on Facebook. But there is no evidence to prove this ghastly sad occurrence and definitely looks like a hoax.

The viral Facebook post ran with the headline, ‘Mom applies this remedy to her baby, shortly after he dies. Be careful with this, moms!’ The post claimed that a Mexican mother lost her 2-year-old son after being poisoned by a simple use of Vicks VapoRub. Many blogs carried her heart-breaking story.

vicksvaporub hoax 2

The following incident took place when she returned home from work and found her toddler son feeling a tad feverish. Imagining it to be a common cold, she rubbed Vicks VapoRub on his chest, back and under his nose to help him breathe. She then tucked him up and laid down next to him. Being tired from work, she quickly fell asleep. She woke after few hours only to realise her son is not breathing. She immediately took him to the hospital but was of no use as he was declared to be dead for hours.

vicksvaporub hoax 1

The inconsolable mother was handed the medical report which pointed out the child died due to inflammation in the respiratory track, produced by the camphor contained in Vicks VapoRub. The ointment is for adults and not to be applied to children younger than two years old, as it increases the mucus by 60%. The mucus accumulates on the trachea and blocks the breathing.

Everything in the report sounded believable, but there is no record of such an incident. In fact, the picture accompanying the viral post was a stock image. On numerous occasions, we keep coming across hoax stories on the social media and believe it on the face value. It is always advisable to consult a pediatrician to be sure of applications and cures. And it is even more advisable to be aware of such chaotic medical hoaxes on the internet.