Born on April 3, 1924, Hollywood actor Marlon Brando is always on the list of greatest actors of all time for his legendary work. At the beginning of his career, Marlon Brando trained at the Lee Strasberg’s Actors’ Studio under Stella Adler. His best works include The Godfather, A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Wild One, Apocalypse Now, Reflections in a Golden Eye and Julius Caeser, among others. Brando famously refused to accept the Academy Award for his gut-wrenching performance in Francis Ford Coppola’s The Godfather as Vito Corleone. The refusal was in protest against the treatment of Native Americans in Hollywood.
Even though he was the most celebrated actor in the industry and the heftiest powerhouse of talent, Marlon Brando had his quirks. Here’s a list of some crazy and weird facts about Marlon Brando. Maria Schneider rape scene in Last Tango in Paris: Twitterati accuses Marlon Brando and Bernardo Bertolucci of sexual abuse of 19-year-old actress!
1. In high school, Marlon Brando was expelled for riding a motorcycle in the hallways of the school.
2. Prior to taking up a career in acting, Marlon Brando worked as an elevator operator for four days in a departmental store. He quit because he was too shy and embarrassed to announce when he arrived at the lingerie floor!
3. Marlon Brando got two nicknames – Bud and Mr Mumbles – thanks to the film industry. Singer Frank Sinatra was the one who gave him the name Mr Mumbles.
4. Marlon Brando was very eccentric once at a dinner party in the 1960s. He asked everyone present at the party to strip naked and himself did so. To make it weirder, he took a lily from a nearby flower vase and inserted it up his ass!
5. Actors think of an Academy Award like their last wish on the deathbed, and if they happen to win it, they treat it as a treasure. But Marlon Brando used the Oscar that he won for the film On the Waterfront as a doorstop! Not only that, he even refused to accept an award for The Godfather in protest of the treatment meted out to Native Americans in the film industry.
6. In 1995, during an interview on Larry King Live, Marlon Brando kissed Mr King on the mouth!
7. Dig this! Marlon Brando used to give singer Michael Jackson acting lessons.
8. Although he was a talented actor, Marlon Brando refused to learn his lines and used to be adamant to use cue cards to deliver his dialogues.
9. Marlon Brando owned an entire island that was located off the Pacific coast.
10. Marlon Brando used to try to lose weight by hanging upside down, but failed and choked himself with his own fat.
11. During a visit to a zoo once, Marlon Brando got into a spitting fight with a baboon. And Marlon won!
12. Marlon Brando was known for his peculiar way of doing things. He once gave actress Pat Quinn a necklace made of real human scalp!
13. Marlon Brando had a ridiculously weird sense of humour. He used to have a liking to fart to such an extent that he considered creating a commercial telephone line called ʻDial-a-Fartʼ where callers would have to guess celebrities based on their farts! LOL!
14. Marlon Brando had a binge eating problem, so his wife used to chain the fridge up!
15. Due to his eating trouble he had split up 52 pairs of trousers during the filming of Mutiny on the Bounty.
16. While penning his autobiography, Marlon Brando had called up Ursula Andress to ask if he had ever had sex with her!
17. Marlon Brando used to travel on the subway with pieces of bread stuffed in his ears.
Apart from acting, Marlon Brando had also (unsuccessfully) directed a few films, with the western One-Eyed Jacks being his first. Marlon Brando was at the time one of the highest paid movie stars in Hollywood. In 1999, TIME magazine named Marlon Brando among its 100 Most Important People of the Century, alongside greats like Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe. Marlon Brando passed away on July 1, 2004, leaving millions of fans across the globe mourning. He died at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in USA due to respiratory failure. Written by Priya Prakashan | Edited by Shweta Parande.