First match of the Group of Death “D” will see two time World Cup champions Uruguay face off against Costa Rica. With three World cup winners (Uruguay, Italy and England) placed in this group every game becomes a must win for all the teams. As Uruguay take on Costa Rica in second game tonight we bring to you some facts
1) Uruguay’s second World Cup title came in 1950 when Brazil hosted the event. Uruguay defeated the hosts 2-1 in the final.
2) Uruguay head coach Oscar Tabrez has the longest duration as coach among 32 supremoes involved in this year’s World Cup. He was appointed in 2006.
3) Costa Rica have good record when it comes to winning the opening games at the World Cup. They have won two out of their three openers.
4) Costa Rica have lost all three previous World Cup ties against South American opposition and also having conceded nine goals in total.
5) Diego Forlan who plays as a forward has scored three of Uruguay’s last five goals at the World Cup.
6) The injured Alvaro Saborio was top scorer for Costa Rica in qualifying matches with Eight goals.
7) Only seven goals were scored against Costa Rica in 10 games during the final phase of CONCACAF qualifying.
8) Uruguay maintains an unbeatable record against Costa Rica. In eight matches Uruguay have won six and drawn two.
Click here to see the FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil Schedule
For FIFA World Cup 2014 news updates click here
Modified Date: June 14, 2014 6:54 PM