Madurai, Aug 13 (PTI) Three members of a family were today electrocuted when they tried to open their house’s iron gate over which a snapped overhead power cable was lying in neighbouring Sivaganga district, police said.

The tragedy occurred when P Vanitha (40) touched the gate early in the morning unaware of the power cable lying over it and her 65-year old mother-in-law and brother-in-law tried to rescue her at Pathinettam Kottai near Manamadurai, they said.

Hearing the cries of Vanitha, her mother-in-law, rushed and tried to pull her, but ended up being electrocuted herself.

Vanitha’s brother-in-law, who tried to save the two women, also died in a similar manner.

Police said the electric wire had snapped due to strong winds and rains early this morning.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.