Motihari, Jun 19 (PTI) Nine members of a family, including six women, today sustained burn injuries in a fire caused by gas leakage during cooking in Bihar’s East Champaran district, police said.

The incident, in which three women received serious burns, occurred at Jai Singhpur Rajpur Tola when an LPG stove on which a woman was cooking, caught fire due to leakage, police said.

The seriously injured women are Maya Devi, Vinita Kumari and Rajni Kumari, he said and added that other members of the family sustained injuries while trying to save Maya Devi.

Of nine persons, eight were admitted to a private nursing home in Motihari town but later all the eight persons were referred to Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH), Patna for better treatment while one person, who received minor injury, was released after administering first aid, Turkaulia Circle officer Sanjay Kumar Jha said.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.