Mumbai, Apr 4 (PTI) The Shiv Sena today said it has not received any offer from the ruling alliance partner BJP for the post of Rajya Sabha deputy chairperson.
“Shiv Sena has not received any such offer. Even if we receive the offer, I don’t think our party president Uddhav Thackeray will accept it,” a close aide of the Sena chief said.
He was responding to reports claiming that the BJP has made such an offer to its bickering ally to ensure its support during the next Lok Sabha elections.
“Uddhav Thackeray made it clear last year that our party will contest elections against the BJP,” the aide told PTI.
The term of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P J Kurien ends in July this year and the Congress may lose the prestigious post after 41 years.
The Sena has three Rajya Sabha members in Rajya Sabha — Sanjay Raut, Anil Desai and Rajkumar Dhoot — all from Maharashtra.
Asked about reports that his name was doing the rounds for the Rajya Sabha post, Raut said, “This news was floated in New Delhi media circles. I have no information about it, so would not like to comment,” he told PTI.
State BJP spokesperson Madhav Bhandari and Minister for Finance Sudhir Mungantiwar, also of the BJP, said they were unaware of any such offer to the Sena.
After the March 23 biennial Rajya Sabha elections to 58 seats, the BJP-led NDA has gained numerical majority in the House.
Post 2014 Maharashtra Assembly elections, the Sena has been constantly targeting the BJP-led governments at the state and Centre over its policy decisions.
Thackeray has announced that the Sena would contest all elections on its own strength.
Mungantiwar, who was appointed as the BJP’s chief negotiator to hold talks with the Sena leadership, said he has received a “favourable” response from the Sena side.
This is published unedited from the PTI feed.