London, Apr 13 (PTI) Britain’s Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, today left hospital after a hip replacement surgery.

The 96-year-old waved to a small crowd as he was driven past King Edward VII’s Hospital in London in a Range Rover.

Queen Elizabeth II’s husband had been admitted to hospital on April 3 to undergo a planned procedure the following day.

Buckingham Palace said the prince will now spend his recuperation period at Windsor Castle, where he is expected to be joined by the monarch.

“His Royal Highness would like to convey his appreciation for the messages of good wishes he has received,” the palace said in a statement.

His daughter, Princess Anne the Princess Royal, was the only royal visitor to the hospital, who had described him “on good form” after she visited her father yesterday.

Prince Philip had announced his retirement in May 2017, after decades of supporting the Queen as well as attending events for his own charities and organisations.

A month later he was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital as “a precautionary measure” following an infection arising from a pre-existing condition.

His final solo engagement was in August last year, when he reviewed a parade of Royal Marines outside Buckingham Palace in his capacity as Captain General of the Corps. But he has since appeared several times at engagements alongside the 91-year-old queen.

His surgery comes ahead of a busy time for the royal family, with Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, due to give birth to her third child some time this month, and the wedding of his grandson, Prince Harry, with Meghan Markle on May 19.

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.