Seven killed as storm lashes Germany
Berlin, Oct 5 (AFP) Seven motorists were killed in north and eastern Germany today as fierce winds toppled trees onto cars during an intense storm that also forced many train ...
- 06 Oct, 06:59 pm Ok this is it. Ghana winning 1-0 and we also have a result in the other game, it is 1-1 in the match between New Zealand and Turkey. So both matches getting over here and it has been a fine start with both matches not throwing any shocks. So this is it from us as we continue you to bring you all the updates from the games going ahead in the tournament.
- 06 Oct, 06:52 pm Now just a few minutes for full time and Colombia getting desperate for their first goal and once again Ghana keeping them at bay. But one has to give a lot of credit to Colombia that they have matched Ghana toe to toe, keeping them all too confused at times as this has not gone to plan for the two-time champions but one expects them to improve as they move on in the tournament. Ok six minutes of added time - three minutes of extra time and three minutes of injury time.
- 06 Oct, 06:44 pm So now we are past 80 minutes as once again Colombia on the attack and we can tell you, they have come so close and just missing it. It was absolutely stunning as the player just all alone coming and taking the goalkeeper Ibrahim by surprise who recovered in time to prevent a goal for Colombia.
- 06 Oct, 06:37 pm Ok news coming in from Navi Mumbai, it is 1-1 there. So the underdogs New Zealand coming back into play. But Colombia not able to find any such opening as it is still 1-0 in Ghana's favour. Now we are in the 77th minute. Now Ghana getting another corner, their fourth of the game. On the other hand, we have Colombia, having seven corners in the match too.
- 06 Oct, 06:31 pm Now we are in the 66th minute in the game and it is still the same pattern as we saw in the first half of the game with both teams having their moments but Colombia having it once compared to every three chances that Ghana would create. It is still the day of Sadiq Ibrahim who has taken our breath away on how he has stolen more magic than the rest of the players combined.
- 06 Oct, 06:22 pm Still 1-0 in Ghana's favour as we have Colombia running them down every few minutes. They have kept their heads high but this match has belonged to two fine young men, Ayiah and Sadiq Ibrahim. They have been both superb in the front line. Ayiah has created several chances. Ibrahim on the other hand has been the standout player of the game.
06 Oct, 06:15 pm
- 06 Oct, 06:14 pm Now our friend Ayiah in action again as he has been absolutely magnificent this evening. One more close shave for him. He has had a few here. Now once again Ghana on top of Colombia, trying for a goal every few minutes. Not just trying but also creating the chances. And Colombia also get an opening every now and then, just to break the flow.
- 06 Oct, 06:08 pm Ok so the second half is underway and Ghana will look to consolidate their lead here in front of a more than decent crowd as below you can see in the pictures sent by our colleague. It is of course all building up for the 8 pm game which is a sell out but they will also have more than a bunch of young kids who will be in attendance during that game.
06 Oct, 06:05 pm
06 Oct, 06:03 pm
06 Oct, 06:01 pm
06 Oct, 05:59 pm
- 06 Oct, 05:53 pm Ok then, half-time and it is still 1-0 in both matches. So really a fine, regular start to the tournament with the favourites playing true to form and it is just a cracking sight to see how Ghana have played some breathtaking football at the start of the tournament here. They were playing thrill a minute and Sadiq Ibrahim of course just took our breath away.
- 06 Oct, 05:46 pm So it is 1-0 in both matches. Both the favourites leading. Turkey up against New Zealand and here in the Delhi match, Ghana up in the scoreline against Colombia. Now coming back to the first goal for Ghana, it was just a comeback for both Ayiah as well as Ibrahim as with all the missed chances, both men playing a part in the goal. Ayiah playing his part in setting up and Ibrahim with the final goal. Ok there are two Ibrahims in the Ghana side. Their goalkeeper Danlad Ibrahim has also had a fine game.
- 06 Oct, 05:40 pm Now once again Ghana on the offensive but Eric Ayiah going down. For the two-time champions, this is probably a lukewarm start as they are massive favourites. But in the other game, it is going to plan as Turkey showing their class against New Zealand. First goal meanwhile for Ghana and it is number 19 Sadiq Ibrahim with the first goal. He has been the main man tonight. Make it 1-0 for Ghana.
- 06 Oct, 05:33 pm Ibrahim has been in the thick of things for Ghana as this is a close shave for the former champions and another offside. Still 1-0 for Turkey in Mumbai and 0-0 here in the game in Delhi. Ibrahim really the stand out player in action every few minutes. Now in the Delhi, we are in the 32nd minute as this time Colombia on the move, looking for the first goal and just missing but they pick a corner here.
- 06 Oct, 05:27 pm Ok news coming in from Navi Mumbai where Turkey are 1-0 up against New Zealand. Ahmed Kutucu scoring in the 18th minute for Turkey. Back to the match in New Delhi, still 0-0 as we are into the 25th minute of the game. Ghana having most of the possession but Colombia throwing enough punches as Ibrahim in action for the two-time champions again.
- 06 Oct, 05:23 pm Still 0-0 in both the games. We are meanwhile in the 20th minute in the match in New Delhi as Ibrahim into action for Ghana and playing really attacking footy here. But now Colombia hitting some punches as they are now in with a free kick. Ghana now coming back into play and taking a corner but still both teams not able to go beyond throwing a few punches.
- 06 Oct, 05:17 pm In 14th minute in the match as Ghana yet again on the offensive and missing by a whisker. A corner for Ghana but once again Colombia just hanging on and what a reversal as the ball quickly in the other half and this time the Colombian player missing as the ball passes by the goalkeeper, buzzing away. Tell you what back to back moments for Colombia and again a miss.
- 06 Oct, 05:14 pm Here is how the two teams have lined up as it is still 0-0. We are in the 13th minute in match one, Colombia vs Ghana. https://twitter.com/FIFAHindi/status/916263073064747008
- 06 Oct, 05:11 pm Colombia had their best finish at number four in 2003 and 2009. Now we are in the ninth minute in the match and Ghana still the team on the attack but Colombia have done well to have the ball in their half more often than not. We also have New Zealand v Turkey happening in Navi Mumbai at this point and time. Still 0-0 in both games.
- 06 Oct, 05:08 pm Ghana on the offensive. They won the World Cup in 1991 and 1995. So it has been a while.
- 06 Oct, 05:06 pm Remember at the same venue, the Jawaharlal Stadium, we will have India versus USA. That begins at 8 pm.
- 06 Oct, 05:04 pm So we are just over two minutes in this game in New Delhi and we will also keep you updated with New Zealand v Turkey in Navi Mumbai.
- 06 Oct, 05:02 pm Colombia have never finished better than number four - they finished at that position twice before.
- 06 Oct, 05:02 pm Ok Ghana v Colombia is away folks.
Berlin, Oct 5 (AFP) Seven motorists were killed in north and eastern Germany today as fierce winds toppled trees onto cars during an intense storm that also forced many train services to be cancelled.
Police in Hamburg said a tree fell on a car containing two women -- killing one and leaving the other with serious injuries.
Another driver was killed in Berlin, rescue workers said.
Several others were injured as the heavy winds swept through the German capital before weakening later in the day.
Most of those injured were struck by falling tree branches.
A truck driver was also killed by a falling tree on a main road in the northeastern state Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, police told news agency DPA, and a female driver was killed in the Brandenburg region when a tree hit her car.
Three more people were killed in similar incidents, according to local authorities.
The German weather service (DWD) predicted that hurricane-force winds would continue to lash northeastern Germany into the evening today.
State-owned rail operator Deutsche Bahn ordered a halt to trains across northern Germany, especially the Hamburg-Berlin line, as many routes were blocked by fallen trees.
Many services were also cancelled in the country's east, as were urban S-Bahn trains in capital Berlin.
Berliners packed into trams and underground services to escape the powerful gusts of wind, which threw traffic signs and advertising billboards to the ground.
Firefighters in the German capital were on high alert after receiving 50 emergency calls in the space of half an hour, while their colleagues in Hamburg reported responding to over 800 calls.
In Berlin meteorologists said that wind gusts of up to 120 kilometers per hour could be expected.
Berlin zoo was closed to the public in the early afternoon.
The two airports in the capital continued to operate as normal. (AFP)This is published unedited from the PTI feed.Published:Fri, October 06, 2017 12:45am