हिंदीमराठी

UN chief warns against more cuts to DR Congo mission

By PTI Feeds | Published:Tue, October 03, 2017 5:02am

United Nations, Oct 3 (AFP) With a dangerous political standoff over elections still unresolved in the Democratic Republic of Congo, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres is urging caution over further ...

United Nations, Oct 3 (AFP) With a dangerous political standoff over elections still unresolved in the Democratic Republic of Congo, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres is urging caution over further cuts to the UN peacekeeping mission there, according to a confidential report.

Guterres told the Security Council that more cost-cutting could hamstring the 18,000-strong MONUSCO force in its efforts to prevent a collapse of the vast, mineral-rich African country.

In a 27-page strategic review of MONUSCO, the UN's largest and most expensive mission, Guterres said the force was streamlining operations after the peacekeeping budget was cut.

"I am confident that the changes under way in MONUSCO will yield efficiencies. Yet, member-states should exercise caution in making further cuts to the mission's budget that may compromise its ability to deliver on its core priorities," Guterres wrote.

"MONUSCO's ultimate purpose is to prevent the DRC's collapse until it ceases to pose a threat to regional and international stability," he added in the report sent to the council on Friday.

Under pressure from the United States, the Security Council in March voted to cut 2,000 troops from MONUSCO while a USD 600-million cut to the peacekeeping budget was agreed for this year by all UN member-states.

In his report, Guterres said holding elections would open the door to a further drawdown of forces and eventually the mission's exit after 17 years in the country.

"Yet, unless the Congolese are able to quickly overcome the current political impasse, the mission may never reach that point," he warned.

The elections would pave the way to the DR Congo's first democratic transition.

In his address to the United Nations last month, President Joseph Kabila said he was "most certainly moving towards credible, transparent and peaceful elections" and that a timetable would be announced "soon."

In power since 2001, Kabila officially ended his term in office in December, but he was allowed to remain under the deal reached on December 31 in exchange for guarantees that elections will be held.

There is little prospect that a vote will be held this year however, fueling concerns that tensions will escalate into large-scale violence.

The council is scheduled to discuss the volatile situation in the DR Congo next week. (AFP) AJR

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.

Published:Tue, October 03, 2017 5:02am

Tags

Democratic Republic of Congo Secretary General Security Council Joseph Kabila

More From Agencies

Canada eyes 7 % growth in tourist arrivals from India in 2018
Biba Apparels eyes doubling exclusive outlets by 2020
Three held for printing, circulating fake notes in C'garh
Golden finish for Norway as Russian flag barred
.LosAngeles LST15 TV-WILLIAMS 'Game Of Thrones' won't film multiple endings: Maisie Williams

More From Indiacom

Shahid Afridi’s One-Handed Catch in the Pakistan Super League has Twitterati Wondering About his Age
Janhvi Kapoor Inconsolable After Sridevi Passes Away; Karan Johar Has Been Taking Care Of Her Since Last Night In Family's Absence
Sridevi no More: Actor Died Before Reaching Hospital, Claim Reports; Mortal Remains to Arrive in Mumbai by Evening
La Liga 2017-18: Luis Suarez Scores Hat-trick as Barcelona Thrash Girona
Parupalli Kashyap Outplays June Wei Cheam to Win Austrian Open
Outbrain

Explore more