New Delhi, May 20 (PTI) Indian boxer Vikas Krishan, who had forfeited his semifinal bout in the Asian Championships, today appeared before a disciplinary committee to explain his position and said he was satisfied with the hearing given to him.
“I have given my version of the happenings. I am satisfied with the opportunity I was given to explain things.
I have told the committee members that whoever is guilty of what happened deserves to be punished,” Vikas told PTI but did not divulge the exact contents of his deposition.
The middleweight boxer, who was the top seed in the Asian meet, had given a walkover in the semifinal against Korean Lee Dongyun earlier this month in Tashkent. The reasons for his decision have not yet been officially revealed.
It is learnt that the boxer, who had a World Series of Boxing (WSB) bout on May 11 in Paris, got caught up in a confusion over his travel plans, which led to his decision to forfeit the Asian Championship bout. Subsequently, he was not allowed to compete in the WSB bout either.
The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) constituted a three-member disciplinary committee to conduct an inquiry into the matter.
The committee, headed by Asit Banerjee and comprising Rajesh Bhandari and Nirwan Mukherjee, met Vikas in its first hearing today.
“I have been told by the committee members that I should now join back training and start preparing for the World Championships. I think the committee members are empathetic towards whatever happened,” Vikas said.
Vikas is among the most decorated boxers in India. A two-time Olympian, he became the first Indian to be adjudged the best boxer by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) at its annual gala last year.
The 24-year-old is also a former World Championships bronze-medallist and an Asian Games gold-winner.
This is published unedited from the PTI feed.