New Delhi, Oct 13: The Allahabad High Court, in a major turn of events, acquitted jailed Rajesh Talwar and Nupur Talwar on Thursday in the murder case of their teenage daughter Aarushi Talwar and domestic help Hemraj in 2008 due to lack of evidence. The dentist couple has been serving life sentence since conviction by a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in November 2013 and will be released from Ghaziabad’s Dasna jail on Friday. (ALSO READ: Why Allahabad High Court Acquitted Nupur And Rajesh Talwar)

The division bench of the High Court comprising Justices Bala Krishna Narain and Arvind Kumar Mishra, allowed the appeals of the Talwars, holding that neither the circumstances nor the evidence on record established a chain showing their involvement in the murders of Aarushi and Hemraj. It also directed the authorities concerned to release both the appellants forthwith. Meanwhile, reacting to the verdict, the CBI said it would study the High Court order and decide the future course of action. However, in all likelihood, the CBI may move the Supreme Court against the HC order.

The Talwars, who were convicted in the double murder case of their daughter Aarushi (14), and their domestic help Hemraj (45) by the CBI court, had moved the High Court on January 21, 2014, challenging their conviction and subsequent life sentence awarded to them by the CBI trial court in Ghaziabad. The court had reserved its judgement on January 9, 2017 but, started the re-hearing the case on August 1, 2017 which concluded on September 7, 2017 when, the HC reserved its ordered and had set October 12 as the date for deliverance of the verdict. (Also read: Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj Murder: Timeline of The Case)

Aarushi-Hemraj Murder Case

Aarushi Talwar, the daughter of dentist couple Rajesh Talwar and Nupur Talwar, was found dead with her throat slit, inside the bedroom of her residence in Noida’s Jal Vayu Vihar in May 2008, days before her 14th birthday. The domestic help of Talwars, 45-year-old Hemraj, was initially suspected to be the one behind the crime after he went missing following Aarushi’s murder however, two days later his body was also recovered from the terrace of the house. The case was initially probed by the Uttar Pradesh police and later, the investigation was handed over to the CBI.