Melbourne, June 19: To visit Australia, Indians can now apply for visa online from July 1 onwards. The announcement was made by the Australian government on Monday after it discarded the paperwork. Alex Hawke, the Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, Australia, as per a PTI report, on the new move, said it will now become easier applying for a visitors visa and also enhance the experience of Indian citizens.
The fresh move came after the Australian authorities saw a rise in visa applications. Seeing the increasing demand for a visitor’s visa, Australian authorities want to make the travel hassle free for Indian citizens.
Things you need to know:
- Since the beginning of this year department of immigration and border protection has shelled out more than 65,000 visitor visas to Indians.
- Hawke regarding this move stated this is a significant enhancement as it will benefit Indian citizens who wish to fly down to Australia as tourist or business visitors. Also, this will make it easy for them to connect with family and friends.
- It will also have benefits like 24/7 accessibility, electronic payment of the visa application charge. And one can check the status of the application online through department’s Immi Account portal.
- Adding another point on the same note, Hawke told Indians can plan their travel dates and make arrangements right after they will be able to check an application online as it is finalised.
- This, according to Hawke will give better outcomes for Indians who have made Australia one of their favourite holiday destination.
Since last year, around 228,331 visa applications have been lodged, As per SBS, in 2015-16, compared to 2016-17 the figure was a bit low. As of now, it takes around 48 hours to 20 days to process the visitor’s visa application. This also includes peak periods.