New Delhi, Aug 11: The next date of hearing the batch of pleas challenging the Allahabad High Court’s order in Ayodhya land dispute case is fixed as December 5. The Supreme Court bench, which heard the matter today, said the next set of hearing would be delayed as it is providing a three-month period to the Uttar Pradesh government for translating historical documents and oral evidences pertaining to the case.
The state government has been charged to translate all the required documents in Urdu and Hindi within the next 12 weeks. The translated documents are expected to aide the top court to expedite the judgement in the two-decade-old case, reports said.
The apex court also announced that the case would be heard by a three-judge bench from December 5, comprising of Justices Dipak Misra, Ashok Bhushan and Abdul Nazeer.
In 2010, the Allahabad High Court issued its judgement in the Ayodhya land dispute case, dividing the area of 2.77 acres among three parties – the Sunni Waqf board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.
The order was challenged by over a dozen petitioners, whose pleas were clubbed by the Supreme Court. The petitioners argued against high court judgement conceding the disputed land to be the birthplace of Lord Ram.
The land dispute in Ayodhya took political and communal overtones, with electoral outfits promising the construction of Ram Mandir on the disputed site.
Far-right leaders of the ruling BJP, including their Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy, reiterated their aim to “shift Babri Masjid” from the 2.77 acre land. However, senior ministers of the central government assured that the matter would be resolved as per the judgement of the top court.
A major development to the case came earlier in the week, when the Shia Wakf board told the Supreme Court that the Babri Masjid could be relocated to nearby Muslim-dominated pockets in Ayodhya. The stance is in contradiction of the Sunni Wakf board, which maintains that a mosque once built could not be demolished or relocated as per the Islamic law.