Chennai, Nov 30: ‘Nada’, a cyclonic storm, is expected cross the north Tamil Nadu coast early on December 2 bringing in heavy rainfall, said India Meteorological Department (IMD). According IMD, a depression over Bay of Bengal is likely to intensify into a cyclonic storm and pass through the north Tamil Nadu coast.
As per the IMD, the depression over southeast Bay of Bengal moved west-northwestwards and intensified into a deep depression and lay centred about 830 km of southeast Chennai, 780 km east-southeast of Puducherry and 490 km east-southeast of Trincomalee in Sri Lanka.
IMD has issued a warning on Wednesday, stating that heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected in Tamil Nadu and areas of Puducherry. It has also advised the fishermen to not venture into the sea and those out in the sea were advised to return immediately.
S. Balachandran , director, Area Cyclone Warning Centre told reporters that in the next 24 hours in Tamil Nadu, beginning 0830 hours today, rains will begin along the coastal parts and gradually move to inner districts.
Below is a list of things we must keep in mind during a cyclone:
- It is very important to stay connected with some mode of communication during a storm, so as to strategise further actions. The point is to stay alert and focused.
- Avoid rumours, and evacuate and inform others about evacuation only if evacuation is advised by concerned authority.
- People staying in low lying areas are advised to move to higher grounds. This must be done at the earliest to avoid disruption in the evacuation process.
- It is always wise to keep extra supplies of food, medication and other daily components. Also we must have enough supply of drinking water.
- All seamen must avoid venturing into the sea. Anybody who is at the sea during any announcement are advised to come back to land surface as soon as possible.
- Real survival is to not lose cool and maintain calm and help anyone who is in need of it. The danger of a cyclone lasts for at least 24 hours, hence all concerned people must be alert.
Given that Cyclone like all other natural disaster is not something that can be controlled or prevented, but what we can do is control its impact and effects. And hence, to maintain vigil and help each other is the best thing to do in such emergencies.