New Delhi, October 11: Delhi Police on Wednesday arrested 21-year-old Sumit Chopra, a hotel management graduate for allegedly duping an e-commerce website by Rs 52 Lakhs. Chopra was placing orders on fictitious addresses and claiming refunds from the company. Police said Chopra used to place his orders of expensive phones of brands like Apple, Samsung, Oppo on the app of Amazon and pay through gift vouchers.

Once the order was received, Chopra will call customer care executives alleging he received an empty box. Later, he will receive the refund and sell the phone at lower prices to different persons too.

The police said he duped the company with the help of a local of telecom store owner, Sachin Jain. Jain provided him with more than 150 pre-activated sim cards. Reflecting on the modus operandi, Delhi Police officials said Chopra not only created fictitious mail-ids, he also created accounts with different names on the app to place his orders.

Milind Dumbere, DCP (north-west) was quoted by Hindustan Times as saying, “Chopra procured 141 SIM cards and created more than 50 email IDs using those numbers. He created many accounts on the e-commerce app and began ordering mobile phones.”

The police started investigating the case after receiving a complaint from Syed Ishaq (36) on behalf of Amazon Seller Services Private Limited.

Dumbere added, “When the delivery boy would be unable to trace the address, he would call Chopra for directions. Chopra would then call him to a random place and receive the product by paying cash. This process would ensure his real identity was never known.”

However, an internal investigation by the company unearthed the whole plot. The company official found the orders were placed from a similar vicinity near Tri Nagar in Delhi. The investigating team found despite acquiring different sim cards, multiple email ids, Chopra placed orders with a similar name Shubham.

Once the modus operandi and name became clear, the company registered a case with Shalimar Bagh police station in north-west Delhi. Later, the case was handed over to Cyber Cell of Delhi Police.