Ghaziabad, Feb 15: A 22-year-old woman was on Wednesday hacked to death in broad daylight in Modi Nagar in Ghaziabad by her jilted lover. The man, identified as Sachin Sharma, had been arrested a week ago for harassing and stalking the woman and later released by police on bail. Sharma, police said, used an axe to inflict multiple blows on the victim until she died. The accused, from Govindpuri locality, was arrested on Wednesday evening.

The woman had gone to the market to make some purchases and was attacked when she came back home. The accused then surrendered at a local police station. Sharma was carrying the murder weapon at the time of the surrender. The police claimed that the victim and the accused had known each other for a while.

The victim had got married last year and a dispute had been brewing between them since then, according to the reports. The police said that the two were once in a relationship. The victim’s family, however, denied the claims saying that the accused’s feelings were “one-sided”.

“He told us that he used to know the woman for many years and used to have a relationship with her. However, the woman got married to someone else. He also told use that whenever the woman visited her parents in Modi Nagar, they used to meet,” HN Singh, senior superintendent of police was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times.

Reacting on a complaint filed by the woman, the police on February 9 booked the man for breach of peace. “He said that he was called to her parent’s house, where he was allegedly beaten and shamed. The woman’s family said that the man came to their house and misbehaved with their family members previously,” he added.

The police said that his arrest and events that followed left him angry and he was looking for a chance to avenge. On February 12, the accused had even sent the victim a picture of himself with a gun, apparently to threaten her. “She bled to death at the spot,” her uncle Ram Bharose Lal told the police. He added that on February 8, Sharma had tried blocking her along with his friends when she was coming back from an exam.

“He stopped her and tried talking to her. But she refused. Sharma followed all the way to our house and started a quarrel. We called the police,” Lal added.