New Delhi, Nov 29: The ministry of home affairs (MHA) has given a nod in the prosecution sanction for filing a chargesheet against Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Maulana Masood Azhad and three others, to National Investigation Agency. As per reports, MHA has given prosecution sanction to NIA against Azhar, his brother Abdul Rauf and two handlers of the attack under sections 18, 20 and 28 of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosives Act and various sections of Indian Penal Code. Seven security personnel were killed in the air base attack.
Ad per a Times of India report, NIA will now file a chargehseet against Azhar and others claiming that the they began the conspiracy to attacked IAF bases in January 2016. The Indian government will be able to use the chargesheet in a stronger case and declare Azhar a global terrorist in the United Nation’s Al Qaeda Sanctions’ Committee list.
On November 18, NIA had approached MHA seeking persecution against Azhar and others involved in the crime. As per the report, evidence collected by NIA is based on independent investigations and forensic examinations. Other evidences that the NIA submitted to the MHA include phone call conversations, addresses, family members’ details, financial details of Al-Rehmat Trust, chats/messages of JeM handlers and their voice samples. (ALSO READ- Pathankot terror attack: NIA receives nod from Centre to prosecute JeM Chief Masood Azhar, 3 others)
Earlier this month, the United Kingdom along with India asked Pakistan to act against terrorists who perpetrated the 2008 Mumbai and 2016 Pathankot terror attack. Earlier this month, India’s Permanent Representative Syed Akbaruddin said during a General Assembly debate on Afghanistan that if the Security Council and its agencies did not come up with a “cohesive response to global terrorism they run the risk of becoming marginalised from the most fundamental security priorities of member states whose fabric is being torn asunder by terrorists.” (ALSO READ: India to tell China to put Masood Azhar on UN sanctions list)
Akbaruddin said, “Earlier this week, President Ashraf Ghani of Afghanistan himself asked a delegation of the UNSC (Security Council) Sanctions Committee to include this person, and such others, in the list of terrorists.” India said that he is the mastermind of the January terrorist attack on the Air Force base in Pathankot. Earlier this month, as Britain joined India in asking Pakistan to act against terrorists who perpetrated the 2008 Mumbai and 2016 Pathankot terror attacks, Modi had called for action against state sponsors of terrorism. (ALSO READ: India slams UNSC for taking months to consider Masood Azhar issue)
Besides Pathankot attack, Azhar is also wanted for the Uri attack which killed 19 defence personnel. India had submitted submitted a dossier listing out his terror activities since 1993, however, has been facing a hurdle as China has collaborated with Pakistan to block New Delhi’s proposal to ban Masood Azhar. According to reports, 14 out of 15 countries were willing to designate Azhar but China has been against the stand. China is now the only country that has stood up for Masood Azhar more than once.