Srinagar, Apr 15: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti accepted the resignations of state ministers Chander Prakash Ganga and Chaudhary Lal Singh, who were spotted attending a rally organised in favour of the accused in Kathua rape and murder case, on Sunday. She has forwarded them to J&K Governor Narinder Nath Vohra.

Chander Prakash and Lal Singh, Bharatiya Janata Party ministers in the PDP-BJP alliance, submitted their resignations to the state party chief Sat Sharma. On Saturday, the party accepted their resignations but said their unwise move to go and pacify people rallying for suspects of rape and murder of a minor was “mistaken for trying to shield the accused”.

In a major revelation, Chander Prakash on Saturday said that they attended the rally on the orders of state BJP chief. He also claimed to have demanded a CBI enquiry in the rape and murder case of eight-year-old girl in Kathua. “I have never done politics for power. There was no pressure on me to resign, I have done it by myself. If my resignation can save the image of my party, I will give this sacrifice,” he was quoted as saying by ANI.

CM Mufti held a high-level meeting at her residence yesterday where she reportedly said there was no threat to the ruling PDP-BJP alliance in the wake of Kathua gangrape and murder case, which triggered a nationwide outrage. Mufti said the resignation of two BJP ministers, who participated in a rally supporting Kathua case accused, would strengthen the PDP-BJP alliance. She, however, warned of ‘chaos’ in Jammu and Kashmir if the country’s political leadership doesn’t pay heed to the concerns of state’s youth.

She also terminated the services of a sub-inspector, a head constable and two Special Police Officers (SPOs) accused in the Kathua case. She was said to have written to the Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court, seeking a fast track court to conclude within 90 days the trial.

The minor from the nomad Bakerwal community was kidnapped on January 10. She was taken to a temple in Rasana village in Kathua district. The accused, which include temple official and policemen, drugged and gangraped her over days before finally killing her and dumping her body in a forest, seven days later.