Srinagar, Apr 15: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Chander Prakash Ganga, who was seen at a rally organised in support of the accused in the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Kathua, claimed that he was asked to attend the event by the state party chief Sat Sharma, a report said. (ALSO READ – Kathua Rape Case: CM Mufti Wants Trial to be Completed in 90 Days, Sacks Accused Cops)

A report quotes him as saying that he, along with BJP minister Chaudhary Lal Singh, was sent at rally’s venue on the orders of the party.

The two BJP ministers, from the PDP-BJP alliance, tendered their resignations to Sat Sharma due to mounting pressure from opponents. Industries and Commerce Minister Chander Prakash Ganga and Forest Minister Lal Singh although claimed that they resigned on their own. However, sources say that the two BJP ministers resigned after Prime Minister Narendra Modi refused to accept their reason for being a part of the rally.

“I have demanded a CBI enquiry in this matter (Kathua rape & murder case). I have never done politics for power. There was no pressure on me to resign, I have done it by myself. If my resignation can save the image of my party, I will give this sacrifice,” Ganga was quoted as saying by ANI earlier on Saturday.

Earlier, defending themselves, the two ministers had said that they were trying to ease the Hindus who had been protesting over the demographic mix in Jammu due to the settlement of Rohingyas and Bakarwal community members.

Confirming the reports of their resignation, BJP’s state chief spokesperson Sunil Sethi said, “It is a simple resignation letter, but they have done it to save party from the adverse publicity going on in the media about their publicly supporting the Hindu Ekta Manch who have been demanding shifting of investigations into the girl’s rape and murder case from state’s Crime Branch to CBI.”

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi finally broke his silence on the Kathua and Unnao rape cases on Friday. He said, “It’s an insult to the freedom fighters who gave their lives for the Independence of this country. We are all ashamed as a society, as a country.”

The minor girl from the Bakerwal community was kidnapped on January 10 and taken to a temple in Rasana village in Kathua district. Her attackers, which included temple official and policemen, drugged and gangraped her over days before finally killing her and dumping her body in a forest nearby, seven days later.