Mumbai, Nov 30: Maharashtra government today decided to hike the financial assistance given to families of soldiers who are martyred or handicapped during war, war-like situations, encounters and overseas peace campaigns.
A government resolution (GR) by the General Administration Department (GAD) said the existing aid of Rs 5 lakh has been increased to Rs 8 lakh with effect from April 1 2016. For the next five years, the amount will be increased up-to Rs 10 lakh, it added.
In 2016-17, the financial assistance to the kin of martyred soldiers will be Rs 8 lakh, in 2017-18, the amount would be increased to Rs 8.5 lakh, in 2018-19 the amount would be Rs 9 lakh, in 2019-20 the amount would be Rs 9.5 lakh and in 2020-21 it would be Rs 10 lakh, said the GR.
The GR said it would be one time payment for next of kith and kin of the martyred soldiers. In the case of soldiers handicapped, the financial aid was Rs one lakh in case of 20 to 49 percent disability and Rs three lakh if disability was more than 50.Percent
The financial assistance to be given to the disabled soldier will be Rs 1.25 lakh for 20 to 49 percent disability and Rs 4 lakh for more than 50 percent disability.
“The amount will increased by Rs 50,000 every year and for 2020-21 the amount will be Rs 2.25 lakh for 20 to 49 percent disability and Rs 6 lakh for disability of 50 percent and more,” the GR said.
It also said 20 percent amount will be given from government grants and remaining 80 percent will be given from Chief Minister (Kargil) Fund and interest of Rs 42.21 crore invested in nationalised.Banks.