New Delhi, Mar 24: A group of journalists belonging to various media organisations on Saturday protested outside the Delhi Police Headquarters demanding strict action against the police personnel involved in assaulting and molesting two journalists on Friday. The letter, written to the Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik, the Press Club Of India, the Indian Women’s Press Corps, the Press Association and the Federation of Press Clubs in India, said that the journalists were beaten and molested despite telling police that they are from the media.

The media associations alleged that two women journalists were roughed up on Friday by police personnel. One of the journalists, according to the reports, was intimidated and threatened by women police officers, the other was molested by Station House Officer Vidyadhar Singh. A third male journalist, an IANS report said, was beaten up by the policemen. They added that The journalists were roughed as they tried to take pictures of the JNU protest.

“Despite repeated pleas that they were journalists and even furnishing their identity cards, they were not spared. We demand that strict action against the police persons involved and the registration of FIRs on the complaints of assault and molestation, both of which have been filed at the respective police stations,” the associations said.

Speaking to news agency ANI, Dependra Pathak, Delhi Police CPRO, said, “The complaint by the journalist is being enquired by a dedicated team & will be completed within the next 2 days. After that the strictest action will be taken.”

On Friday, JNU teachers and students held a protest march demanding suspension of professor Atul Johri, accused of sexual harassment, and protesting against the removal of some department heads and a coordinator for not complying with the University’s new attendance rules.

On Saturday, journalists from various media houses protested outside the Delhi Police Headquarters against alleged molestation of a woman journalist by Delhi Cantt SHO and manhandling of another journalist by police yesterday. Protesters kept their cameras on the ground as a mark of protest.