New Delhi, Apr 6: The website of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) was inaccessible on Friday, apparently hacked as its homepage showed a Chinese character. In the wake of alleged hacking of the defence ministry site – mod.gov.in – the website of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) was taken down as part of extra precautions. The National Informatics Centre, however, said the portal was not hacked but facing some technical issues.
Upon visiting, the MoD website displayed an ‘error’ message and asked users to ‘try again later’. The portal was also displaying a ‘Chinese’ character, which purportedly means ‘home’. Following the alleged hack attempt, the National Informatics Centre, which hosts the MHA site, took down the portal and is upgrading the security system.
“The requested service is temporarily unavailable. Sorry for Inconvenience. It would be available soon,” is the message that comes when one opens the MHA website. Speaking to news agency PTI, an official spokesperson said the move has been taken as part of extra precautions.
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the website will be restored shortly and assured to take steps to prevent such eventuality in the future. “Action is initiated after the hacking of MoD website ( http://mod.nic.in ). The website shall be restored shortly. Needless to say, every possible step required to prevent any such eventuality in the future will be taken. @DefenceMinIndia @PIB_India @PIBHindi,” Sitharaman Tweeted.
Last year in January, the website of the National Security Guard (NSG), the Indian Special Forces unit combating terror activities, was also hacked posing an unprecedented threat to national security. In 2016, a total of 199 government websites were hacked in India, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had told the Parliament. In fact, more than 700 websites under the Indian government have been hacked from 2013 to 2016.