Noida, April 6: At least 25 students of Step by Step school in Noida sector 132 fell sick after eating breakfast. The students allegedly took ill due to food poisoning. Soon after eating breakfast of ajwain parantha and lassi, several students complained of stomach ache and vomited. While many were treated inside the school, seven of them had to be hospitalised in Delhi and Noida. A spokesperson for Jaypee Hospital said that the five students, who were admitted and treated for food poisoning, were out of danger and had been taken home by their parents.
A spokesperson for the school said that some students were sent back home after being given medicines. A food inspector said that the school management called a team of doctors from Max Hospital to treat the kids on the school campus. “Many kids were treated inside the school campus by a team of doctors. We have not been able to contact the school administration but we have visited the premises of the canteen and collected the oil and ajwain used to make paranthas,” he told Hindustan Times.
Although Step by Step school didn’t issue any formal statement on the incident, it did mail all the parents informing them of the incident. The mail, sent from Principal Mahesh Prasad’s office, said that some of the “students at our school have had mild to severe stomach ache and some have had vomiting”. It, however, didn’t mention the cause of the incident. It also mentioned that the services of Sodexo, which provides food to the students, had been suspended.
It should be noted that the school doesn’t allow students to bring food from their home. In view of the incident, the said rule was withdrawn temporarily. “In view of the unfortunate incident that took place today, till the cause is ascertained, as a precautionary measure, the school requests that all parents send their children to school with food and water till further notice,” the mail said, reported The Times of India.
“We have taken food samples from the canteen for testing and its report will be out soon. We are trying to contact the school administration as of now. Strict action will be taken against the school if found that they had deterred the food inspection team from doing their duty,” BN Singh, district magistrate, GB Nagar, was quoted as saying by HT. The school is also facing an inquiry after it was alleged that a team of inspectors was stopped from entering the school.