Ahmedabad, September 17: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday inaugurated the Sardar Sarovar Dam, world’s second largest on Sunday. He dedicated the hydro-electric-cum-irrigation project to the nation on his 67th birthday. The dam took six decades to become a reality. The dam that cost around Rs 65,000 crore will benefit millions in four states including Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh will get the largest chunk from the electricity the hydro-electric project will generate. Maharashtra and Gujarat will also get electricity from the project, whereas Rajasthan will get water, Zee News reported. Here is the list of benefits.
- The Sardar Sarovar Project will provide irrigation facilities to 18.45 lac ha. of land, covering 3112 villages of 73 talukas in 15 districts of Gujarat.
- It will also irrigate 2,46,000 ha. of land in the strategic desert districts of Barmer and Jallore in Rajasthan and 37,500 ha. in the tribal hilly tract of Maharashtra through a lift.
- A special allocation of 0.86 MAF of water has been made to provide drinking water to 131 urban centres and 9633 villages (53% of total 18144 villages of Gujarat) within and outside command in Gujarat for present population of 28 million and a prospective population of over 40 million by the year 2021.
- Water supply requirement of several industries will also be met.
- There are two power houses viz. River Bed Power House and Canal Head Power House with an installed capacity of 1200 MW and 250 MW respectively.
- The power would be shared by three states – Madhya Pradesh – 57%, Maharashtra – 27% and Gujarat 16%.
- It will also provide flood protection to riverine reaches measuring 30,000 ha. covering 210 villages and Bharuch city and a population of 4.0 lac in Gujarat.
- Annual additional agricultural production would be Rs. 1600 crores, power generation and water supply Rs. 175 crores, aggregating about Rs. 2175 crores every year equivalent to about Rs. 6.0 crores a day.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday reached Kevadia in Narmada district to inaugurate the project. Due to bad weather, he reached the venue by road. On Saturday, PM Modi said that the Sardar Sarovar Dam will fullfill the aspirations of people and will benefit farmers.