New Delhi, Oct 13: Supreme Court has refused to modify its order on sale of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR. The apex court on Friday said that the ban on sale will continue till further hearing in the case. The bench headed by Justice AK Sikri, said, “We will ascertain after Diwali if there has been a difference in pollution levels.” (Delhi Police warn those selling and buying crackers online)
The apex court also reiterated that the ban is on sale of firecrackers. The court said that those who have firecrackers can burst them till 11 pm.
The court’s order came on a plea filed by traders seeking permission to sell their existing stock of firecrackers. A group of traders had moved the Supreme Court seeking modification of the October 9 order by which the sale of firecrackers was banned in Delhi-NCR region till November 1.
The traders told apex court that their licences were revived in pursuance of the apex court’s order passed in September 12 and they procured firecrackers for sale during Diwali. The court is expected to take up the plea shortly.
The traders told the top court that a huge amount of money has been invested by them after their licences were revived and the ban order would cause huge loss to them.
The apex court, while banning sale of firecrackers till November 1, had said that its September 12 order temporarily lifting the stay and permitting sale of firecrackers, would be made effective only from November one.
It had said its November 11, 2016 order suspending the licences “should be given one chance to test itself” to see if there would be a positive effect of this, particularly during Diwali.
The court, in its last year’s direction, had suspended all licenses which permits sale of fireworks, wholesale and retail within the territory of NCR till further orders.