New Delhi, December 2: Today is the last day to use old Rs 500 notes, as the Central government has put an end to using the old notes after reports of its misuse in large number started emerging. From today midnight the use of old Rs 500 notes will come to an end for buying fuels at petrol pumps and purchasing tickets at airports from Saturday, while exemption of toll on highways will also end on Friday. But at some places old Rs 500 old notes can be used until December 15.
Here are the places where you can still use Rs 500 notes until December 15, 2016:
1) Government hospitals and pharmacies will accept old Rs 500 notes for treatment and to buy medicines. Pharmacies will accept Rs 500 only after doctor’s prescription.
2) Railway ticketing counters and other public ticket counters of Government or Public Sector Undertakings will accept Rs 500 old currency until December 15.
3) Consumer cooperative stores operated under Central or State Governments will accept old Rs 500 notes and the customer can make a purchase of Rs 5,000 at a time. Customers have to provide their identity proof.
4) Milk booths operating under the Central and State Governments will accept Rs 500 notes for purchase of milk at booths.
5) Old Rs 500 notes will be accepted for payments at crematoria and burial grounds.
6) Payments can be made with old denomination notes in all pharmacies while producing doctor’s prescription and proof of identity.
7) LPG cylinders can be purchased with old notes.
8) Catering services in train will accept the old currency.
9) Railways and metros will accept old notes for purchase of tickets.
10) Museums and public parks will accept old notes for entry tickets.
11) While making payments towards any fees, charges, taxes or penalties old notes are acceptable.
12) Old notes are also acceptable for making payments towards utility charges for water and electricity bills. No advance payment is allowed.
13) Courts across India will accept old currency for any payments.
14) Purchase of seeds from the centre, state, units or outlets belonging to any other Public Sector Undertakings will accept old notes.
15) Payment of school fees up to Rs 2,000 per student in Central Government, State Government, Municipality and local body schools.
16) Colleges operated by Cental or State government will also accept old denomination notes.
17) payments can be made on pre-paid mobile phone to a limit of 500 per top-up.
18) Also, toll plazas across India which have exempted toll payments will accept old Rs 500 notes from December 3 to December 15.