Beirut, November 5: At least 75 people were killed and over 140 others were wounded in an Islamic State (ISIS) car bombing that struck a gathering of people displaced by fighting in eastern Syria, news agency AFP reported.
“Saturday’s attack in Syria’s eastern province of Deir Ezzor killed at least 75 and wounded 140 people. The attack also displaced several civilians including children,” Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Abdel Rahman said that the victims had fled battles in the province, where Syrian regime forces and a US-backed Arab-Kurdish alliance, the Syrian Democratic Forces, are fighting the extremist group in separate offensives.
Fighting across Deir Ezzor has forced thousands of civilians to leave their home, some straight into the desert.
Some civilians also sought refuge in a desert area controlled by the SDF on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River where the Saturday bombing had struck.
This was not the first attack attributed to ISIS against civilians fleeing the town of Deir Ezzor.
Earlier in October, a car bombing in the northeastern province of Hasakeh killed at least 18 people, including displaced people and Kurdish security forces, the Syrian Observatory said.
Some reports said that on Saturday an estimated 3,50,000 people have fled the recent fighting in Deir Ezzor province, out of the total number around half of them were children.