Live Updates

  • 5:08 PM IST

    A total of 22 passengers have been confirmed to be injured in the terror attack, reported AFP, quoting official sources.

  • 4:25 PM IST

    US President Donald Trump appealed the international community to adopt a ‘pro-active’ role in combating terror. “These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive,” he said.

  • 4:22 PM IST

  • 4:12 PM IST

    Top London police sources, while speaking to Sky News, said the blast could had been more fatal if the device used for explosion had fully detonated. He further confirmed that a total of 18 passengers have been injured so far.

  • 4:04 PM IST

    Counter-terror expert Will Geddes says the first priority of the investigators would be to determine from where the perpetrator of the attack boarded the train. As of now, the police are yet to find early leads in the case. CCTV footage of all stations in the route are being checked.

  • 4:02 PM IST

    Although casualties are yet to be reported, eyewitnesses from the site of attack said they saw victims’ face covered in blood, along with severe injuries.

  • 3:47 PM IST

    UK Prime Minister Theresa May expressed disappointment over the terror attack. “My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and emergency services who are responding bravely to this terrorist incident,” she posted on Twitter.

  • 3:31 PM IST

    Reports say UK Prime Minister Theresa May will be chairing an emergency meeting around noon following the terror attack on London tube.

  • 3:18 PM IST

  • 3:17 PM IST

    London Mayor Sadiq Khan has issued a statement saying he was monitoring the situation and was in close contact with the Metropolitian Police.

London, Sept 15: A blast has been reported from an underground metro in London on Friday. Reports say the blast took place in a container in a carriage at the Parsons Green station. The incident has been declared as a terror attack. According to some tweets on Twitter, some people have been injured in the blast. The blast took place at 8.20 am, generally seen as a peak hour as lakhs of commuters travel to their offices during this hour.

The metro station has been evacuated and shut while investigations are on. The area around the station has also been cordoned off. Reports say that the explosive was kept inside a bag which was kept inside the container at the metro station. Some people have suffered facial burns reportedly.

The London Ambulance has been pressed into service to attend to those injured in the blast. Natasha Wills, Assistant Director of Operations at London Ambulance Service said, We were called at 8:20am to reports of an incident at Parsons Green underground station. We have sent multiple resources to the scene including single responders in cars, ambulance crews, incident response officers and our hazardous area response team, with the first of our medics arriving in under five minutes. Our initial priority is to assess the level and nature of injuries. More information will follow when we have it.”

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was also present at the spot to find out what led to the blast. Eyewitnesses quoted by international media say they saw flames coming out of the container, following which people ran shouting in panic. “We are aware of reports on social media RE Parsons Green. We will release facts when we can – our info must be accurate,” said London’s Metropolitan Police on Twitter.

Following the blast, services have been suspended between Edgware Road and Wimbledon.

The blast comes just months after the London Bridge attack in which a van mowed down scores of people. At least 11 people were killed by terrorists on June 3 this year.

The London tube has witnessed blasts in the past too. On July 7, 2005, four suicide bombers had carried out a series of coordinated terrorist attacks, targeting civilians travelling on London city’s public transport system. The blasts killed 52 people and injuring hundreds. The three terrorists were identified as 30-year-old Mohammad Sidique Khan, 22-year-old Shehzad Tanweer, and 18-year-old Hasib Hussain.