Las Vegas, Oct 2: A gunman rained bullets from an automatic assault machine gun at hundreds gathered for a music concert killing over 50 and injuring more than 400 just outside a popular casino in Las Vegas today.
The lone attacker was killed by the police on the 32nd of a hotel near the ground where hundreds were attending the last night of the three-day Route 91 Harvest festival.
HERE’S ALL THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
– Nearly 50 killed, over 100 injured after a lone gunman opens fire during a music concert near the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino on the famous Las Vegas Strip.
– Popular singer Jason Aldean was performing on stage when a barrage of bullets hit the crowd. “My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night,” the singer said.
– The gunman, who was shot dead by cops on the 32nd floor of a hotel near the concert site, was a local man who has been identified as Stephen Paddock, the police said.
– Paddock was not believed to be connected to any militant group, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters.
– An associate of the attacker – a woman – has been identified and police have launched a hunt to nab her.
– The woman named Marilou Danley is believed to the suspected gunman’s roommate. Lombardo described her as Asian, 4 foot 11 inches (1.5 m) tall, 111 pounds (50 kg).
– Videos being shared on social media showed people running around in panic as gunshots reverberated in the background.
– Las Vegas’s McCarran International Airport was put on high alert and all flights were grounded immediately after the news about the shooting broke.
– Operations at the airport were resumed partially after the police confirmed that the attacker is ‘down’.
– The attack was the deadliest mass shooting in the United States since a gunman who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State militant group killed 49 people at an Orlando nightclub in June 2016.