New Delhi, June 19: Five militants who were involved in Sunday’s attack on a tourist resort in Bamako were killed by the security officials this afternoon, a report said. The militants who killed two persons and initially hijacked 32 tourists were neutralised. the Country’s Security minister confirmed.

According to Reuters, unidentified gunmen attacked the Le Campement Kangaba on Sunday and killed two tourists. The security forces rescued 36 residents including 13 french citizens.

Stating that it was undoubtedly an act of terror, Security minister Salif Traore said, “The anti-terrorist forces arrived on the scene immediately afterwards.” He also stated that five terrorists were killed in the operation that continued throughout the night.

The suspected jihadists were reportedly crying “Allahu Akbar” while they stormed the tourist resort which is generally popular with foreigners on the edge of the Malian capital.

Noteworthy that the US embassy in Bamako had issued a warning earlier this month “of a possible increased threat of attacks against Western diplomatic missions, places of worship, and other locations in Bamako where Westerners frequent”.

While no terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet, jihadist groups related to Al-Qaeda have been responsible for several attacks in the past. France on the other hands has been helping Mali to rid itself of such terror threats and soon after the attack, French President Emmanuel Macron issued his condolence and said that he is following the situation very closely.