Priyanka Chopra surprised everyone with her cute voiceover for the character Ishani in Disney’s film Planes. Also, Sonakshi Sinha and Imran Khan will be dubbing in Hindi for Hollywood animation film Rio 2. Amitabh Bachchan has been doing narrations for movies and ad films for ages – with his recent ones being Krrish 3, Boss and Lagaan.The actor has also joined the cast of animation film Mahabharat with a bevy of Bollywood stars who’ve given voiceovers for specific characters. Vivek Oberoi will be dubbing for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Let’s take a look at actors who enjoy lending their voices to characters – animation or live action – happily. But are people liking these voiceovers? Read our list and tell us if you enjoyed listening to these stars in animation characters.
1. Shahrukh Khan, Kajol and Rani Mukerji for Koochie Koochie Hota Hai as lead characters Rocky (Rahul), Angie (Anjali) and Tina.
2. Shahrukh Khan and son Aryan Khan dubbed for Hollywood film The Incredibles in Hindi.
3. Sanjay Dutt for Koochie Koochie Hota Hai as Salman Khan’s character Aman.
4. Priyanka Chopra for Planes as Ishani and for Alibaba Aur 41 Chor as Marjina.
5. Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor for Roadside Romeo as Romeo and Laila.
6. Javed Jafferi aka Javed Jaffery – Hindi dubbing for various Disney cartoon shows on TV, for Roadside Romeo as Charlie Anna and for Hollywood films such as Die Hard.
7. Vidya Balan for Mahabharat as Draupadi.
8. Kumar Gaurav for The Jungle Book as Mowgli.
9. Juhi Chawla, Om Puri, Manoj Bajpayee, A K Hangal, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Ninad Kamat for Krishna Aur Kans as Yashoda, Kans, Nand, Ugrasen, Vasudev and Narad respectively.
10. Amitabh Bachchan for Mahabharat as Bhishma.
11. Anil Kapoor for Mahabharat as Karna.
12. John Abraham for Alibaba Aur 41 Chor as Ali Baba.
13. Atul Kulkarni, Ashutosh Rana and Raza Murad for Alibaba Aur 41 Chor as Talking Camel, Abu Hassan and the Dwarf respectively.
14. Jackie Shroff for Mahabharat as Duryodhan, and Hindi dubbing for Hollywood films, starting with Jurassic Park.
15. Mahima Chaudhary for Bhagmati (2D animation film) as Bhagmati.
16. Simi Garewal for Koochie Koochie Hota Hai as Miss Braganza (Archana Puran Singh’s character in the original).
17. Ajay Devgn for Mahabharat as Arjun, and Ajay and Kajol for Toonpur Ka Super Hero as Aditya Kumar and Priya.
18. Manoj Bajpayee, Juhi Chawla, Ashutosh Rana, Mukesh Rishi for Ramayana: The Epic as Ram, Sita, Ravan and Hanuman respectively.
19. Akshay Kumar, Lara Dutta and Dimple Kapadia for Jumbo.
20. Govinda, Akshaye Khanna, Urmila Matondkar, Boman Irani and Suniel Shetty for Delhi Safari.
21. Smilie Suri and Nikhil Dwivedi narrated for animation film Crackers, which was based on the 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
22. Amrish Puri, Shatrughan Sinha, Arun Govil and Rameshwari for Ramayana.
23. Manoj Bajpayee for Mahabharat as Yudhisthira.
24. Nasir (Johnny Walker’s son) for Disney cartoon shows.
25. Sunny Deol for Mahabharat as Bheem.
26. Anupam Kher for Krishna Aur Kans as Gargacharya, for Mahabharat as Shakuni Mama and for Koochie Koochie Hota Hai as the Prinicipal.
27. Vrajesh Hirjee, Tanaaz Currim Irani and Suresh Menon also dubbed for Roadside Romeo.
28. Shreyas Talpade, Sachin Khedekar, Roopali Ganguly, Ashish Vidyarthi, Vinay Apte and Shishir Sharma for Dashavtar as Narad, Lord Vishnu, Apsara, Hiranakshyapu, Kansa and Bali Raja respectively.
29. Deepti Naval for Mahabharat as Kunti.
30. Vinay Pathak and Ranvir Shorey for Hollywood animation film Rio.
31. Late ghazal singer Jagjit Singh was narrator for a film named Baru – The Wonder Kid.
32. Sonu Sood did a voiceover for a Hollywood project The Legend of Hercules.
33. TV actors Avika Gor (Balika Vadhu), Vrajesh Heerji and Sharad Kelkar for Baru – The Wonder Kid (watch trailer).
34. Dabangg girl Sonakshi Sinha will be dubbing in Hindi for the character of Jewel in cute Hollywood animation film Rio‘s sequel Rio 2.
35. Imran Khan will lend his voice to Blue in Hollywood animation film Rio 2.
36. Vivek Oberoi will be dubbing for the character of the Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
It’s common in South India for local actors to dub for the actors from up North, or the West and East India, since accent is an issue. According to reports, actor Swathi Reddy had dubbed for Ileana D’Cruz in the South film Jalsa. But more on the regional film voiceovers later, which is a big business in itself.
Parting shot: Dhoom 3 star Aamir Khan reportedly had asked for a big amount to dub for animation film Aladdin, and so was rejected.