April 29 marks the 34th death anniversary of one of the greatest directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. He pioneered the horror and psychological thriller genres in his day and some of his films are considered to be the greatest films ever made. He is well known as the master of suspense. (Read: People who should have won Oscars but didn’t)
His movie Vertigo was raked as the best film ever made by the British Film Institute’s Sight and Sound critics poll ( Hitchcock was himself British) but the movie Hitchcock is most famous for is arguably Psych (1960). Hitchcock set the modern standards for camera work and the way he used all means available to make the audience feel what the character was feeling. The music he used in the shower scene of Psycho is today often associated with something unpleasant or scary even with people who have never seen or heard of the film. (Read: The 3 greatest horror movies to have freaked us out!)
Without Hitchcock modern cinema would surely be different. Besides movies, Hitchcock was also famous for a television series called Alfred Hitchcock Presents, the show is full of mysteries and thrillers, one of the most famous episodes called Lamb to the Slaughter was adapted from a short story that was written by the author Roald Dahl. Like his movies the show was extraordinary, suspenseful and of course mysterious but still with a certain charm. What we love most about Hitchcock however are his quotes, here’s a list of some popular (and quite hilarious) Hitchcock quotes:
1) Revenge is sweet and not fattening.
2) The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
3) Drama is life with the dull bits cut out.
4) Always make the audience suffer as much as possible.
5) The only way to get rid of my fears is to make films about them.
6) In feature films the director is God, in documentary films God is the director.
7) I have a perfect cure for a sore throat, cut it.