Rajasthan Royals made a complete mess of a small chase as they lost wickets in heap and after the dismissal of Sanju Samson, never looked like being in the game at all. Although they did try their best to make it interesting, the damage was done earlier itself. The match saw some amazing performances by a number of players. Here we take a look at some of the major performances from the match that changed the course of the match in their teams favor for that particular time being.
1. Dwayne Smith: Dwayne smith started off the Chennai innings in a blazing fashion. He opened the innings along with Brendon McCullum and simply dominated the CSK bowlers the whole time he spent on the crease. He smashed 50 runs of just 28 deliveries and the last six deliveries which he faced before eventually being dismissed by Rajat Bhatia read 4,4,4,4,4,6 on the scoring sheet. It was pure Caribbean muscle hitting from the West Indian.
2. Rajat Bhatia: Rajat Bhatia has been one of those quiet performers who do their job so quietly that you hardly notice them until you realize the difference they have created. Bhatia did just that today. He took two important wickets with the ball as he dismissed Suresh Raina and Mithun Manhas and was the most economical bowler from the RR bowling line up. His bowling figures read 4-0-13-2. He also contributed well with the bat, being the second highest scorer from the RR side.
3. Steve Smith: Now Steve Smith makes this list purely on the base of the catch he took to dismiss Brendon McCullum at the start of the CSK innings. Anyone else would have thought twice before committing to the catch, but Smith didn’t. He simply ran for the ball and plucked it out of the hands of the other two fielders(who would have dropped it anyways).
4. Ravindra Jadeja: Jadeja finallay showed his worth as an all rounder for the CSK team.First he scored some much needed runs towards the end of the innings for the Super kings and then went on to turn the match right on its head when he picked up the wickets of Shane Watson and the dangerous Sanju Samson of Consecutive deliveries. He wasn’t done there, he ultimately ended up with figures of 4/33.
5. Dhawal Kulkarni: He almost had it won for the Royals. What was P. Tambe thinking while attempting that run. he just had to run, there was no other choice. Well putting that aside, Dhawan played extremely well for what it was worth. he also gave a strong performance with the new ball in the CSK innings, giving away just 18 in his 3 overs. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he would have faced the last ball.
Result: Chennai Supper Kings beat Rajasthan Royals by 7 runs.
Man of the match: Ravindra Jadeja.