Philippe Coutinho celebrates after scoring Liverpool’s winner against Manchester City (Getty Images)

Liverpool who sit pretty on top of the English Premier League took a huge step towards becoming English champions for the first time in 24 years when they defeated third-placed Manchester City 3-2 at Anfield. Manchester City who came into the game with two games in hand, have lost out on a chance to overtake the Reds.

The Merseyside club have not finished top since 1990, two years before the Premier League began. The 3-2 win against Manchester City makes it a tenth successive win for Brendan Rodgers’ men.

The game which saw Liverpool dominate Manchester City in the first-half had Anfield screaming their hearts out only in the sixth minute as nineteen-year-old Raheem Sterling put his team ahead after twisting and turning and them finishing it off. Liverpool doubled the lead 20 minutes later when defender Martin Skrtel headed in a corner. City went into the dressing room at half-time 2-0 down, knowing that they had to change something to get back in the game.

Manuel Pellegrini sent his players with a few inspiring words for certain as Manchester City looked better than they were in the first-half. City recovered with two goals in five minutes early in the second half. David Silvas cored in the 56th minute and the equaliser was an own goal by Glen Johnson. The Manchester club then lost their star midfielder Yaya Toure with an injury after little more than quarter of an hour.

The match looked like it was indeed going to have a winner as both sides kept pushing for their third. And it did, as 13 minutes from the end, Brazilian Philippe Coutinho drove in the winner as he capitalized on a weak clearance by defender Vincent Kompany.

While defending the 3-2 lead Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson was sent off in added time for a dangerous two-footed challenge on a City player.

Manchester City now trail Liverpool by seven points with two games in hand and are still two points behind Chelsea, having played one game fewer.