Nick Kyrgios ‘exhausted’ after Wimbledon heroics, eyes US Open

Nick Kyrgios

SYDNEY, July 6: Australian teenager Nick Kyrgios returned home exhausted Sunday after his Wimbledon heroics to freshen up for a tilt at next month’s US Open in New York.

Kyrgios, 19, caused one of the greatest Wimbledon sensations last week when he sent world number one and 14-time Grand Slam title winner Rafael Nadal crashing to a shock fourth-round defeat.

He subsequently bowed out of the Grand Slam when he was beaten by Canada’s eighth-seeded Milos Raonic in four sets in the quarter-finals.

Kyrgios played down a hip injury incurred during his Wimbledon run and said he was planning some much-needed rest before targeting the US Open, starting on August 25.

“I’m just feeling really exhausted,” he told reporters on arrival at home-town Canberra airport Sunday.

“I’m just going to relax and not think too far ahead.”

Kyrgios, who pulled out of this week’s grass court tournament in Newport, Rhode Island citing the hip injury and exhaustion, said his hip was feeling okay and the extra leg room in the business class flight home had helped.

He said he would soon head to Melbourne to train before flying off for his US hardcourt campaign later this month in the lead up to the US Open.

Kyrgios, who went into Wimbledon ranked 144th, is projected to shoot up to around world number 65 when the new rankings are released this week.