India has started its campaign in 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on a positive note winning 2 gold medals, 3 silver and 2 bronze, taking their total to 7 medals. India is currently placed fourth in the medal tally behind the leaders England, Australia and Scotland. It was India all the way, on the opening day of the weightlifting competition winning four out of the six medals in play with Sanjita Khumukcham and Sukhen Dey winning gold in their respective disciplines.
The other three medals for India came from Judo with Shushila Likmabam and Navjot Chana winning silver and Kalpana Thoudam winning bronze in the women’s 52 kg category.
Let’s now look at the nine Indian stars expected to win medals in this mega event and bring laurels for the nation –
1. Abhinav Bindra: The ace shooter who is playing in his last Commonwealth Games is expected to win gold for India. Bindra who won 1 gold and 1 silver medal in 2010 Delhi games and the only individual Olympic gold medalist for India is a strong contender for a medal in this event.
2. Sushil Kumar: This world-class wrestler who became the household name in India after winning the silver and bronze medals for the country in 2012 London Olympics is determined to set the stage on fire. Though Sushil would be competing in a new category of 74 kg freestyle, he is expected to repeat his gold medal winning performance of 2010 CWG.
3. PV Sindhu: The ace shuttler who is the number one seeded player in the tournament is expected to win a gold medal for India. Her main challengers in the event are Kristy Gilmour of Scotland and Michelle Li of Canada.
4. Ashish Kumar: India’s top gymnast would be hoping for the gold medal in Glasgow CWG. Ashish had won silver and a bronze medal in the men’s floor exercises and vault in the 2010 Commonwealth games.
5. Vijender Singh: The renowned boxer who won the bronze medal four years back is expected to better his performance this time around. Vijender would be competing in 75 kg men’s category.
6. Pinki Jangra: This youngster from Haryana grabbed the headlines when she defeated the five times World Champion Mary Kom in the 2014 CWG qualifiers. She would be competing in 51 kg women’s category and has a great chance of winning a medal for the country
7. Krishna Poonia: This world class athlete would be competing in women’s Discus Throw event and is expected to repeat her heroics of Delhi CWG. She won a gold medal four years back in the last CWG.
8. Sharath Kamal: Sharath would be leading India’s challenge in the Table Tennis event and would be eyeing hat-trick of gold medals in the Commonwealth games. He has been a gold medalist in the last two editions of the event held in Melbourne and New Delhi.
9. Katulu Ravi Kumar: The nation is expecting nothing less than a gold medal from this weightlifter who won a gold medal in 2010 Commonwealth games in 69 kg category. Ravi Kumar would be competing in 77 kg category in the 2014 Glasgow CWG.