As the Narendra Modi government is all set to present its first Railway Budget on Tuesday, Union Minister of Railway Devaragunda Venkappa Sadananda Gowda is hoping that his rail budget would meet people’s expectations. D.V. Sadananda Gowda had earlier stated that the Rail Budget 2014 will be good for people in the long run. D.V. Sadananda Gowda hiked the rail fares by 14.2 % and freight charges by 6.5%; the decision caused a stir among the people. In a short brief, we will help you to know-all about the Railway minister.
1. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda was born on 19th March 1953, to Sri Venkappa Gowda and Smt. Kamala. Gowda belongs to Devaragunda family of Mandekolu Village of Sullia Taluk.
2. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda completed his high school education at Sullia and graduated in B.Sc. from St.Pilomena’s College in Puttur. Later, Gowda obtained his Law degree from Vaikunta Baliga College, Udupi.
3. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda became the District General Secretary of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) during his collegian days.
4. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda started practicing law in 1976 at Sullia and Puttur. Gowda became a Public Prosecutor but eventually resigned to centralise his focus on social service and political career.
5. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda began his political career as a member of the Jan Sangh. Gowda became the President of party’s Sullia Assembly segment. After the split of the Janata Party, he became a member of the BJP.
6. In his early BJP days, Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda served as President of Dakshina Kannada BJP Yuva Morcha; Vice-President of Dakshina Kannada BJP, Secretary of State BJP Yuva Morcha (1983-88), BJP State Secretary (2003-04) and BJP’s National Secretary (2004).
7. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda was elected to the Karnataka Legislative Assembly in 1994 and 1999 from the Puttur Assembly Constituency. Gowda was instilled the responsibility of Deputy Leader of the Opposition in his second term as MLA.
8. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda has also worked in various committees of the Karnataka State Legislature including the Cell for preparing Draft Bill on prohibiting Atrocities on Women, the Committee of Energy, Fuel and Power, and the Committee for Public Undertaking.
9. In 14th Lok Sabha in 2004, Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda was elected from the Mangalore, defeating Sri Veerappa Moily of the Indian National Congress by a margin of 32,314 votes.
10. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda held the post of Director of Coffee Board during January 2005 during the 14th Lok Sabha session.
11. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda was appointed as the President of Karnataka BJP in 2006. Gowda gained national prominence when BJP won the assembly election for the first time in South India (Karnataka) in May 2008, under his leadership.
12. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda was chosen as the 20th Chief Minister of Karnataka in Augsut 2011; when his mentor B.S.Yeddyurappa resigned following allegations of corruption.
13. Currently, Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda is a member of the 16th Lok Sabha representing the Bangalore North constituency.
14. Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda is married to Datty and is blessed with two sons. The elder son Kaushik Gowda, a medical student died in a road accident whereas the younger son Karthik Gowda, is an engineer.
15. Not many people know that Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda is interested in Yakshagana, Folk Arts of Dakshina Kannada. Gowda’s sports interests are Badminton and Tennis.
16. In his stint as a Karnataka Chief Minister, Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda introduction of Sakala- a scheme garnered applause among the masses both regionally and nationally. Sakala aimed at providing guarantee of services citizens in the state of Karnataka within the stipulated time limit, which aimed at minimizing corruption.
17. It is a little known fact that Sri D. V. Sadananda Gowda has earned a National-level award for ‘Maintenance of Law and Order’.