Aussie teenager Nick Kyrgios after defeating No. 2 seed Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon
LONDON, July 1, 2014: Five breakthrough facts on Nick Kyrgios after the Australian teenager defeated Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon on Tuesday:
1. Wildcard Kyrgios is the first man to reach the quarter-finals on Wimbledon debut since Florian Mayer in 2004.
2. At 19 years 70 days, he is the youngest player to reach the quarter-finals at a Grand Slam since compatriot Bernard Tomic (18 years 255 days) at 2011 Wimbledon.
3. Kyrgios is the first teenager to defeat a world No. 1 at a Grand Slam since Nadal achieved the feat when he defeated Roger Federer at 2005 Roland Garros aged 19 years 2 days.
4. He is the first player ranked outside the Top 100 to defeat a world No. 1 at a Grand Slam since No. 193 Andrei Olhovskiy defeated Jim Courier in the 3rd round at 1992 Wimbledon.
5. Kyrgios is the lowest-ranked player to defeat Nadal since No. 690 Joachim Johansson at 2006 Stockholm. Kyrgios is the lowest-ranked player Nadal has lost to at a Grand Slam.