Nainital photo: Romantic Bug
The wedding season is on. So are you planning a honeymoon for yourself or for a relative? Here’s a list of some of the most popular honeymoon destinations in India. Take a look and start planning your trip!
1. Shimla: This Himachal Pradesh hill station is the most popular honeymoon destination in India. It has a small-town vibe contrasting with foreign tourists. Shimla’s snowy attractions, mountains, points, temples, lakes, Mall Road for shopping – all add up to give you a wonderful honeymoon experience!
2. Kulu Manali: Lovely weather with snow-clad mountains – a scenery fit for a romantic Bollywood song, Yash Chopra style! Which honeymoon couple would not like to be here? Kulu Manali remains one of the favourite destinations.
Photo: Galaxy Travel Holidays
3. Kodaikanal: Hilly regions rule for couples in love. And so Tamil Nadu’s Kodaikanal always figures in the list of options for honeymooners. Take your partner to waterfalls, lakes, forests or even the museum, depending on his/her interests. A unique way to explore each other’s likes and dislikes!
4. Mahabaleshwar: This hilly town in Maharashtra is like the Shimla of western India, except the lack of snow. Situated in the Deccan plateau, Mahabaleshwar offers wonderful weather, a scenic view of the Sahyadri mountains, lakes and good resorts – and gambling stalls! One can often spot lovey dovey honeymoon couples in this town.
5. Goa: By far the best beach destination in India if you want to party, this state is also a favourite of the ‘just married’. Longs walks by the beach or just soaking in the sun, drinking and eating at the shacks or at the various pop joints, shopping, biking, what have you! There are also churches and temples for the spiritually inclined.
6. Kerala: The entire state is a favourite, it seems, and especially the backwaters! So whether it’s Munnar, Cochin or Kovalam, the newlyweds love to explore this destination. There are also lovely hotels and spas to relax and enjoy your honeymoon!
7. Ooty: Another famous hilly region in the Nilgiris in Tamil Nadu, Ootacamund has been the preferred place to take your bride to. The mountain railway, the serene lakes, the pleasant weather with clear skies, the gardens with exotic flowers, the mountains, tourist friendly atmosphere…the list is endless as to why most people like Ooty.
8. Agra: The ultimate romantic destination is to the place where the ultimate monument of love – the Taj Mahal – was built. You don’t need to see anything else in the city. The Taj mesmerises everyone, including honeymooners.
9. Nainital: The beautiful city of lakes Nainital in Uttarakhand offers the best weather and peaceful atmosphere for honeymooners to get to know each other.
10. Mussoorie: The picturesque hilly town near Dehradun is even Sachin Tendulkar’s favourite and many a big shot has a summer house there.
11. Khajuraho: A tribute to passion in the form of temples, in the land of the Kamasutra. What better way to break the ice with your partner, especially in an arranged marriage situation? Hence the destination scores.
Which is your favourite honeymoon destination?