Morjim in North Goa is different from other beaches of Goa. Unlike the popular beaches in Goa like Baga, Candolim, Varca and Colva, this secluded beach nestled in the midst of lush green locales, is calm and serene. Located in Pernem district, Morjim is renowned as the nesting place for Olive Ridley turtles. During 1997-98, only 5 nests were located and protected on Morjim beach. The number increased to eight in 1998-99 and resulted in extension of the protected area on the beach. Consistent efforts have resulted in increased nesting with number reaching 32 nests in 2000-01. Tourists, environmental students and experts visit the site to study the annual feature.
ALSO SEE 5 absolutely adorable and cute villas to rent in Goa!
In recent years, Morjim has earned the label as ‘Little Russia’ due to the concentration of Russian expatriates visiting and residing in the beach town. Nearly 75 percent of chartered flights to Goa come from Russia. Increasing number of signboards in Russian language, Russian-run restaurants, shacks and guesthouses managed by Russian nationals are pointers to the fact. Morjim is also popular with birding enthusiasts. Several species like the Sand Plover, Bay-backed Shrike, Quill, Turnstones, Cuckoo, Kingfisher and Sandpipers can be seen in natural surroundings. Morjim is also the place to go for some Dolphin sighting.
Morjim is named after goddess Morzai. According to legend, the goddess Morzai emerged from the sea and was fished out by fisherman (morjey). Others believe she came riding on a peacock (mhor in local language) and hence the name Mhor-jim. Another legend says Morjim was under the sea ages ago. A saint reclaimed the land and out of respect, a temple was built for him.
CHECK OUT 5 Bollywood movies that will transport you to Goa instantly!
Morjim residents are predominantly Hindus, who consist of 70 per cent of population while remaining 30 per cent are Christians. Portuguese secured control over Pernem around 1801. Kalas Festival is the most important festival of Morjim. Held at the Morjai temple once every two years, it is attended by devotees from all over Goa. Villagers also celebrate the feast of Milgris in the month of May.
The Shri Morjai temple here is dedicated to Goddess Shri Morjai who is known to be one of the seven sisters who came and resided in different parts of Goa along with their brother, Shri Khetoba. The temple walls are decorated with Kaavi art. Another temple, Shri Bhagavati Temple is located in Mandrem not far from Morjim. The principal festivals that are observed are the seven days of “”Bhajanisaptah” which is celebrated in Hindu month of Kartik. The Jatra, Dussehra and Shimgo are other festivals celebrated here. SurroundingMorjim in North Goa is different from other beaches of Goa. The secluded resort nestled in the midst of lush green locales, is secluded and serene. Unlike the popular beaches in Goa like Baga, Candolim, Varca and Colva, the crowds and missing and offers you abundant opportunities to enjoy the Goan experience.
Opening hours of Morjim Beach:Closed now
Open all days
Entry fee for Visiting Morjim Beach:
Address: Morjim Beach, Morjim, Goa 403512, IndiaTelephone: 832 2424002, 2424003Approximate visit duration for : 60 minutes