You don’t need to be in a band to make it big in the music industry, all you need is talent, good looks and a little bit of luck, here are some of the greatest solo music artists, who according to us revolutionised the music industry both in the West and in India to some extent:
1) Elvis Presley (1935- 1977): Elvis Presley sold more albums than any other individual music artist in history, and the second most overall (the Beatles sold more). As well as being a musician, Elvis was also an actor appearing in movies like Jailhouse Rock, Blue Hawaii and Love Me Tender. Some of Elvis’s most popular songs are Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, A Little Less Conversation, Blue Suede Shoes and Viva Las Vegas. Elvis remains on of the most recognisable singers to this day and his voice uniquely unmistakable. He is often called the King of Rock n’ Roll or simply the King. Between 1977 and 1980, despite being dead, Elvis earned more money than any other musician.
2) Michael Jackson (1958- 2009): Michael Jackson or MJ is regarded as the King of Pop and sold the second highest number of music albums as an individual artist, he started his career as part of the Jackson5 (who were all his siblings) but then went solo. His album Thriller, is the highest selling music album in history. MJ is famous for songs like Thriller, Smooth Criminal, Bad, Black or White and We Are The World. The only thing more revolutionary than MJ’s music was the dance sequences he incorporated in both his music videos and live performances.
3) John Lennon (1940-1980): He was the founder of the Beatles, the most successful band in history, once the Beatles separated, Lennon had a very successful solo career. He was also a peace activist and there was an attempt made by the US government to deport him for his criticism of the Vietnam war. Lennon’s solo career produced classics like Imagine, Out of the Blue and Working Class Hero.
4) Madonna: Madonna is of the Called the Queen of Pop. She’s sold more albums that any other female artist in history, with a total of 300 million sold. She’s famous for her use of fancy costumes. Some of her more popular songs are 4 Minutes, Hung Up, Vogue and Into the Groove. She is considered by many to be the best and most successful female music artist ever.
5) Eminem: Marshal Mathers, also known as Eminem or Slim Shady is one of best selling music artists in the US. Some of his most famous songs (many of which are highly controversial) are Lose Yourself, Ass Like That, We Made You, Rap God, Mockingbird, The Real Slim Shady and Love The Way You Lie.