[Photo Source: Pinterest]
Freida Pinto, the model-turned-actress who rose to fame with the Oscar-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire,” turns 32 this month. The stunning young lady celebrates her birthday on October 18.
[Photo Source: Giphy]
Are you a die-hard Pinto fan? Well, check out our list of must-know facts about the actress and see how well you really know your favorite star!
1. She’s best known for her work in American and British films. At five-years-old, she knew she wanted to be an actress but that did not solidify until she saw the movie “Monster” in 2003.
2. She was born and raised in Mumbai, India. She attended St. Xavier’s College, which is in her hometown. Her family belongs to the Mangalorean Catholics, a group that came from the Portuguese colony of Goa. She has one sister named Sharon who works for NDTV.
3. Pinto’s best known for her work in “Slumdog Millionaire,” Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” “Trishna,” and “Desert Dancer.”
4. She’s also a model and television presenter. She began modeling in 2005 and was signed with Elite Model Management where she was featured in Wrigley’s Chewing Gum, Skoda, Vodafone India, Airtel, Visa, eBay, and De Beers. Most recently, Pinto has become a spokeswoman for L’Oreal Paris.
5. Indian media credits Pinto as someone who breaks the stereotypical image of Indian women in foreign films.
6. Pinto is heavily involved in social causes such as uplifting women and underprivileged children, gender equality, ending female genital mutilation, and child marriage, ending violence against women, among many other causes. Recently, she joined Michele Obama, her daughters, and their grandmother on a trip to Morocco, Liberia, and Spain for the ‘Let Girls Learn’ initiative that promotes girls receiving a quality education.
7. She’s worked alongside Mindy Kaling and Christian Bale, both of whom she adores.
[Photo Source: Giphy]
8. Pinto also spoke out at the Toronto film festival, telling female directors to stop worrying about studio heads and to go out and make their own films and tell the stories that they wanted to tell.
9. There’s no doubt people find her beautiful. She’s been featured in People’s World’s Most Beautiful People, Most Beautiful at Every Age, & World’s Best Dressed Women. She’s also been in Vogue’s Top Ten most Stylish Women and in the Los Angeles Times Magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful Women in Film.
10. Most people do not consider her a Bollywood actress or someone of note in Indian cinema.
11. Pinto was once engaged to Rohan Antao, who was her publicist. Following that relationship, she dated her “Slumdog Millionaire” co-star Dev Patel for six years.
12. She currently resides in Los Angeles.
13. Pinto’s first film where she danced was “Trishna,” and according to the actress, she enjoyed it so much that she wants to dance in all of her movies. She also tells people that if you want to be successful at Bollywood dancing, you need to learn how to move your hips. “Trishna” also stars Riz Ahmed, the star of the HBO hit show, “The Night Of.”