New Delhi: The Rouse Avenue Court of Delhi on Monday extended the date of interim protection from arrest granted to former Union minister P Chidambaram and his son Karti Chidambaram till May 30 in connection with the Aircel-Maxis case. Also Read - Farmers Protest: Heavy Traffic Congestion at Delhi-Gurugram Border As Police Check Vehicles
The request was made after Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the agencies, sought more time to complete the probe. The case relates to alleged irregularities in the grant of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) approval in the Aircel-Maxis deal. Also Read - Farmers Protest LIVE Updates: Central Govt Urges Farmers to End protest, Offers Dialogue on Dec 3
Earlier, Special Judge OP Saini extended the interim relief to Chidambaram and posted the matter for May 6 after the ED sought more time to gather evidence. Notably, the prosecution agencies have sought more time to complete the investigation. Also Read - Delhi Chalo: Defying Barricades, Water Cannons, Farmers Push Through Haryana; Security Beefed Up at Border Crossings | Key Points
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on July 19, 2018, filed a fresh charge-sheet in the Aircel-Maxis case in a Delhi Court against 18 accused, including Chidambaram, his son Karti, and select government officials (serving and retired).
In another charge-sheet, the CBI said that two sets of money trails were discovered regarding the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance. The Aircel-Maxis deal case, which emerged out of 2G spectrum cases, pertains to an FIPB clearance, granted to firm M/S Global Communication Holding Services Ltd for investment in Aircel.
The ED had earlier said that the FIPB approval granted in 2006 by Chidambaram was beyond his mandate as he was only authorised to accord approval on project proposals up to Rs 600 crore.
(With agency inputs)