Mumbai, September 20: In what is believed to be one of the biggest updates to iOS, tech giant Apple released its new software update iOS 11 on Tuesday. iOS is the world’s largest augmented reality (AR) platform which brings experiences using the built-in camera, powerful processors and motion sensors. The new update brings a host of new features like a brand new Control Center, a new file manager app, new layout to the App Store, among various other new roll-outs. Each year, Apple updates the software for its iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The update has been released all over the world. In India too, iPhone users can pick up their iOS devices, download, and install the latest operating system. To get this software update done, you should first check if your iPhone and iPad is compatible with the Apple iOS 11.
As per Apple’s recent press release, the iOS 11 sets a new standard for what is already the world’s most advanced mobile operating system. It makes iPhone better than before, makes iPad more capable than ever and now it opens up both to amazing possibilities for augmented reality in games and apps. There were reports that Apple has increased app download limit to 150MB on cellular network against the previous limit which was 100MB. Now users can download apps as big as 150MB in size using cellular data.
Which iPhone devices are compatible with the new iOS 11?
iOS 11 makes your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch more powerful, personal, and intelligent than ever before. It has to be noted that iOS 11 is compatible with, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone SE, iPhone 5s along with the newly launched iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus. If an individual is still using the iPhone 4S, 5, or 5C, he will not get the iOS 11 update anymore from Apple as it is not available on these older devices.
|• iPhone 8|
• iPhone 8 Plus
• iPhone 7
• iPhone 7 Plus
• iPhone 6s
• iPhone 6s Plus
• iPhone 6
• iPhone 6 Plus
• iPhone SE
• iPhone 5s
|•12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)|
•12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
• iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
• iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
• iPad Air 2
• iPad Air
• iPad (5th generation)
• iPad mini 4
• iPad mini 3
• iPad mini 2
• iPod touch (6th generation)
Reports say that the Apple iOS 11 will also be available on iPads for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (second generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (first generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, iPad (fifth generation), iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad Mini 4, 3 and 2. Moreover, the iPod Touch (sixth generation) too will get the update from Apple. The iPad is set to change a lot as there will be a new dock, drag-and-drop, multi-tasking and more. The central hub on iOS 11 where you can find all of your alerts and notifications is now the Lock Screen.
New Features of iOS 11:
iOS 11 is performance optimized for 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps will need to be updated by the app developer to work with this version of iOS.
- All-new App Store designed for discovering great apps and games everyday
- New Today tab helps you discover new apps and games with stories, how-to guides, and more
- New Games tab to find new games and see what’s most popular with top game charts
- Dedicated Apps tab with top picks, dedicated app charts, and app categories
- New Siri voice is more natural and expressive
- Translate English words and phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish (beta)
- Siri suggestions based on your usage of Safari, News, Mail, and Messages
- Works with notes apps to create to-do lists, notes and reminders
- Works with banking apps for account transfer and balances
- Works with apps that display QR codes
- Hindi and Shanghainese dictation
- Portrait mode now supports optical image stabilization, HDR and True Tone flash
- Photos and videos will take up half the space with the new HEIF and HEVC image and video formats
- Redesigned set of nine filters optimized for natural skin tones
- Automatically identify and scan QR codes
- Loop, Bounce, and Long Exposure Live Photo effects
- Mute, trim, or choose a new key photo for Live Photos
- Memory Movies automatically adapt content for portrait and landscape orientation
- More than a dozen new memory types including pets, babies, weddings, and sporting events
- People album is more accurate and stays up to date across devices with iCloud Photo Library
- Animated GIF support
- Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers
- Lane guidance and speed limit information with Turn-by-turn directions
- One-handed zoom with double tap and swipe
- Interact with Flyover by moving your device
Do Not Disturb while Driving
- Automatically silences notifications while driving and keeps iPhone silent and display off
- Optional iMessage auto reply to alert selected contacts that you’re driving
New features designed for iPad
- An all new Dock provides quick access to your favorite and recently used apps and can even be shown on top of active apps
- Dock resizes so you can add all of your favorite apps
- Recently used and Continuity apps are available on the right
- Enhanced Slide Over and Split View
- Apps can be easily started in Slide Over and Split View from the Dock
- Slide Over and background apps now run simultaneously
- Apps in Slide Over and Split View can now be placed on the left side of the screen
- Drag and drop
- Move text, images, and files between apps on iPad
- Multi-Touch to move multiple items at the same time
- Spring-loading to move content between apps
Make instant Notes
- Instantly create a new note by tapping on Lock Screen with Apple Pencil
- Inline drawing available by simply placing Apple Pencil in body of a note
- Search handwritten text
- Document scanner autocorrects for skewing and uses image filters to remove shadows
- Table support to organize and display information
- Pin important notes to the top of the list
Augmented reality technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver content on top of real-world scenes for interactive gaming, immersive shopping experiences, industrial design and more
With the new iOS 11 update, the three-panel Control Center from iOS 10 will be completely gone. With iOS 11, users can add or remove shortcuts that are no more in use, along with a few hidden Control Center features. Control Center lets you quickly take a picture, turn on lights, control your Apple TV, and more. You can even customize Control Center so you have instant access to the things you do most. Along with the other updates, there’s a new dark mode hidden in the Settings app for iOS users.
Multitasking with new iOS 11:
iOS 11 makes it easier and more intuitive than ever to multitask. You can open a second app right from the Dock, and both apps remain active in Slide Over as well as Split View. You can drag the second app in Slide Over to the left. And you can get back to your favorite App Spaces in the redesigned App Switcher.
How to update iPhone, iPad to iOS 11?
First, you will have to check if the upgrade is available for your iPhone device. Before you update, back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch so you have a copy of your important information just in case you need it.
- To install, you need to do is go to ‘Settings’ tab on your device
- Then go to the ‘About’ section and click on ‘Software Update’.
- You can check if the iOS 11 has arrived for your device.
- If it is available, you will have to download and install the iOS update.
- You can also install the iOS update on your Macbooks using iTunes software.