New Delhi: Driving license expiring soon or need a new one? Here’s a good news for you. Now, you don’t need to visit an RTO (Regional Transport Office) for the same and can get one simply online. The Centre on Wednesday issued a notification that as many as 18 services, including renewing your license, issuing a learner’s license, getting a duplicate license can now be done via Aadhaar-based authentication. It means applicants now do not need to visit RTO anymore. Also Read - Strict Checking of Vehicle Documents Resumes in Noida, Greater Noida From Today; Keep Documents Ready
Other services such as, temporary registration of vehicles will also be accessible online, as per the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) notification issued on Wednesday. Also Read - Explained: How to Link Pan Card With Aadhaar Card? | Step by Step Video Tutorial
The development comes after the Union government issued a draft notification for linking driving license and RC with the 12-digit unique identity number assigned to every Indian citizen. The Government of India notified that getting a learner’s license, renewing license, issuing a duplicate license have all been moved online so that applicants need not visit RTO offices.
These services can now be availed by citizens by the comfort of their homes and include: Learner’s license, Renewal of driving license for which test of competence to drive is not required, Duplicate driving license, Change of address in driving license and Certificate of Registration, Issue of international driving permit, Surrender of class of vehicle from license, Application for temporary registration of motor vehicle, Application for registration of motor vehicle with a fully built body.
Services that require Aadhaar authentication:
- Learner’s license
- Renewal of driving license for which test of competence to drive is not required
- Duplicate driving license
- Change of address in driving license and certificate of registration
- Issue of international driving permit
- Surrender of class of vehicle from license
- Application for temporary registration of motor vehicle
- Application for registration of motor vehicle with fully built body
- Application for issue of duplicate certificate of registration
- Application for grant of NOC for certificate of registration
- Notice of transfer of ownership of motor vehicle
- Application for transfer of ownership of motor vehicle
- Intimation of change of address in certificate of registration
- Application for registration for driver training from accredited driver training centre
- Application for registration of motor vehicle of diplomatic officer
- Application for assignment of fresh registration mark of motor vehicle of diplomatic officer
- Endorsement of hire-purchase agreement
- Termination of hire-purchase agreement
The move will reduce the burden on citizens, helping them to avail these services in a hassle free, contact-less manner. This will also reduce the footfall in the RTOs, which will further increase their efficiency as well.